Video- How to mix Hide Glue for correct consistency

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
This is a video about how to mix hide glue granules with water to get a good working consistency- The consistency changes over time due to evaporation or adding a little too much granules.

It is better to understand the consistency rather than a strict following of the advertised raitos (but they are a good starting point).

~ Here, I use (and mix together) 192 gram and 315 gram glues.
~ I start with about 25 grams of glue granules, and about 50 grams of water. The ratio listed on the LMI jar is 1:8, so a little less (water) than 1 part glue granules to 2 parts water.

~ The lower the gram strength of glue (ie 192g) , the LONGER open time you have to clamp.

~ The higher the glue gram strength (eg 315g), the SHORTER working time you have to clamp.

~ Good quality hide glue can be bought from LMI, Stewmac, Wood craft, etc.

~The HEET glue pots (which keep the glue at a consistent 140F) can . also be purchased from these places.

Thanks for the useful and interesting tips Beau.

For the occasional hide glue user, milk frothing machines heat to about the same temperature as professional hide glue pots for exactly the same reason. Protein starts to break down at around 70 degrees Celsius.
I got given the Aldi Expressi frother (plus the coffee machine) for Christmas and it heats to 63 degrees Celsius and turns off. Removing the stirer and using it as a water bath for the glue jar for an occasional hide glue session works a treat. Rewarming to 63 is as simple as hitting the button.
For the forgetful old gits amongst us (e.g. me) the fact that it turns itself off after each cycle is probably not that bad a feature, verging on useful. The Aldi one costs about $30 Australian dollarydoos.
On the coffee side the froth they produce is a little airy so I use the light frothing attachment if at all. It is also great for hot chocolate. I believe in miracles.

Top Bottom