Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be careful where you get your new Moon Bird from - it may not have a warranty

My Moon Bird Tenor was purchased from HMS last fall and does have the holographic sticker on the back of the headstock.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Quote Originally Posted by rainbow21 View Post
    Thank you for this tidbit of info. I just ready to order a concert from World of Ukes (Carl via email is responsive and highly recommended).
    World of Ukes in the UK is run by Matt
    I bought my UT200 from Matt and couldn't be happier!
    Last edited by pix.fairydust; 02-10-2019 at 05:19 AM.
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C Kai KCI-5000 acacia
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kamaka 100th anniversary Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple LFDM ukaferri
    Baritone - Kala SMHB

Thanks. Good to know.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I was just on the Anuenue website reading their warranty. There is only a 12 month warranty on the Anuenue ukes and that is through a dealer.
    Only a one year warranty. Makes me reconsider buying a Moon Bird. I would expect better than that.

Even with a reputable seller there can still be problems. I bought a different ukulele (Italian) from a smaller " reputable" seller. Within a couple of months the neck warped. I had to jump through multiple hoops from the seller. And it took 4 months before I was finally reimbursed. Thankfully they eventually honored the warranty.
    K
    Sopranos, Concerts, and Tenors including Baritone body at a Tenor Scale - 4 String, 5 String and 8 String :-)
    For Sale: Seagull Nylon String
    For Sale: National Mahogany Resonator
    For Sale: Gold Tone Resonator

We're spoiled by companies like KoAloha and Lanikai that guarantee their workmanship, period.

I'm a little shocked that a company would void its warranty due to an external sticker. I've even had a label fall off the inside of a ukulele (it was in a school setting with bad humidity issues).
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    I am not shocked. The company works out of an environment where sharing and stealing ideas and copying are very blurred together. A fake that is sub-standard, even one, has the potential to destroy market share if a punter has a good story to post on Reddit or UU. East Asia has a huge consumer market base, copies of the MoonBird are entirely possible.
    Ukulele makers in Hawaii live in a different legal and cultural environment where stealing ideas and making fakes is not acceptable and is harder to do successfully.
    Having benefitted from the Koaloha warranty several years after buying my instrument, I know the amazing value of the Koaloha after sales support. But I did pay a premium price for the instrument. I had the opportunity to pay less and get a factory second, which has a completely different warranty and after sales set-up.
    The MoonBird ukes are not selling at a premium price, part of their attraction is a lower purchase price. It may be unfair to expect to get a comprehensive warranty and after sales service if you are not going to pay the premium price. If Anuenue pushed up the price to allow for a lifetime warranty, would the MoonBird still be as popular as it is?
    A key thing if you get a genuine MoonBird is the sticker. If you want to get the one year warranty, you need to leave it on for 365.25 days. Then on Day 326 you can rip it off and have a sigh of relief, unless you hope to resell the instrument, then you might need the sticker as a way to prove that it is genuine?
    I have no idea where you're getting your prices, but Moon Birds absolutely sell at a premium price. On HMS, a Koaloha Hawaiian made concert is listed for $1,037, and a Moon Bird concert is listed for $1,398. "The allure of a Moon Bird is based on the lower price"? Only if someone has never priced a Koaloha and a Moon Bird. Koaloha manages their warranty while still selling some of their Hawaiian ukes for less. The allure of the Moon Bird is the Moon Bird itself, for those who want one.
    Last edited by AQUATOPAZ; 10-26-2019 at 07:24 PM.

I bought a Moonbird tenor from this dealer in April. The ad said, "Make an offer," so I did. We settled on $1,050. Reading your post, I was uncertain about the decal, but I just looked, and it's there. I wouldn't call it ugly. It's more like stealth - barely visible.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ulele&_sacat=0

Buying a used Moonbird, the warranty doesn't matter, since it applies only to the original buyer.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information