Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Inexpensive Boys & Girls Club Instructional Ukuleles

Default Suggestions for Inexpensive Boys & Girls Club Instructional Ukuleles

I need some suggestions for some inexpensive yet durable ukuleles.

I want to buy some decent-sounding ukuleles for 3rd to 5th grade young people to learn & play at a Boys and Girls Club. I don't want to spend more than $50 each.

Is there anything available here in the USofA that will sound reasonably good, be easy enough for them to play, and come with a good setup?

There's no point in teaching the kids how to play on bad-sounding instruments. They won't enjoy them and won't practice between lessons.

I suspect that it would be good if they were durable as well. A laminate or plastic, maybe?

I'm thinking 2 sopranos and 2 concerts, but I can be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks for your help.

I have used the Kala KA-15S in a class situation and found them to be decent players. The tone is reasonable and intonation and action is fine.

Post #6 on this thread may be of interest to you. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-the-classroom
    Choirguy's YT channel cool cover photo is a row of OU sopranos w/ rainbow Aquilla nylon strings.
    I vaguely recall his review of Kala Waterman talks about both https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5YJGRd0cik

Personally, I am so impressed w/ how well my Kala Waterman Concert & Sopranos have been (ABS plastic). Out of the box, w/o change of strings. I got them for less than $50 & $30 respectively.
    And my Outdoor ukulele moonshine (polycarbonate) feels bombproof w/ spot on intonation right out of the box. Would hand it over to most kids in a heartbeat. Their sopranos are $105 right now, more spendy now but perhaps more cost effective in the long run.
    Both Watermans & OUs are so easy to maintain (what maintenance?) & no fretting over humidity & humidifiers in winter when central heat is in use.

In a classroom situation, using 100% fluorocarbon fishing leader line could be more economical for restringing. If you go that route, Hi-Seas is more economical than Seaguar Blue.

There are a few music teacher blog posts on restringing w/ fishing leader line... will edit this response & add those if I come across them again.
    Last edited by Wukulele; 02-08-2019 at 03:39 PM.
    keeping an eye out for a very special concert....

I use Ohana 10s ukes. I have 30 ukes with Aquila Kids Strings (colored).
    Ohana has been a great partner for my program at the Boys and Girls Club.
    I do various fund raising events to raise money to buy the instruments.
    Good Luck with your venture. Feel free to keep in touch as you progress.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by Wukulele View Post
    Post #6 on this thread may be of interest to you. https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...-the-classroom
    Choirguy's YT channel cool cover photo is a row of OU sopranos w/ rainbow Aquilla nylon strings.
    I vaguely recall his review of Kala Waterman talks about both https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5YJGRd0cik

Personally, I am so impressed w/ how well my Kala Waterman Concert & Sopranos have been (ABS plastic). Out of the box, w/o change of strings. I got them for less than $50 & $30 respectively.
    And my Outdoor ukulele moonshine (polycarbonate) feels bombproof w/ spot on intonation right out of the box. Would hand it over to most kids in a heartbeat. Their sopranos are $105 right now, more spendy now but perhaps more cost effective in the long run.
    Both Watermans & OUs are so easy to maintain (what maintenance?) & no fretting over humidity & humidifiers in winter when central heat is in use.

In a classroom situation, using 100% fluorocarbon fishing leader line could be more economical for restringing. If you go that route, Hi-Seas is more economical than Seaguar Blue.

There are a few music teacher blog posts on restringing w/ fishing leader line... will edit this response & add those if I come across them again.
    Great information. Thank you. I will check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    I have used the Kala KA-15S in a class situation and found them to be decent players. The tone is reasonable and intonation and action is fine.
    I'll check it out.

Thank you.

Oh, I like the idea of the kids strings. That would be a fun touch.

I'll pick your brain as we, the CheezLand Uke Club, progress.

I've bought from alibaba.com, and so have several friends. You can get surprisingly good ukuleles for surprisingly low prices. After a friend got one, I ordered a pretty little Amoon soprano for about $30. It's no longer listed on their site, though.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...chText=ukulele

Enya is another good, inexpensive brand. I got a concert for $18.31, delivered, during a temporary sale on Amazon. I would go for uniformity in the instruments - four identical ukes. Otherwise, the kids will all want what the kid next to them has. (The grass is always greener)
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Malala Dolphin. We have a 2-1/2 year old grandson and we bought him one when he turned 1 year old. Even though it was just something for him to play with, I did a setup on it. It lives in a toy box and has a few nicks here and there, but when we visit I tune it up and play it. It actually sounds pretty good, and it has held up. Whatever you do, get a uke with geared tuners.

John

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Malala Dolphin. We have a 2-1/2 year old grandson and we bought him one when he turned 1 year old. Even though it was just something for him to play with, I did a setup on it. It lives in a toy box and has a few nicks here and there, but when we visit I tune it up and play it. It actually sounds pretty good, and it has held up. Whatever you do, get a uke with geared tuners.

John
    +1
    The Makala Dolphin sounds much better to me than the Waterman.
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Thread Information