Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japanese High Prices on eBay

Default Japanese High Prices on eBay

It seems to be tough for the Japanese to compete on eBay because their prices are so high. Here's a used Martin Iz tenor listed for $2,088 with free shipping. You can buy a new one here for $1,759. Lots of eBay prices on items from Japan are very high.

https://www.ebay.com/i/183676642336?ul_noapp=true
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerryc41 View Post
    It seems to be tough for the Japanese to compete on eBay because their prices are so high. Here's a used Martin Iz tenor listed for $2,088 with free shipping. You can buy a new one here for $1,759. Lots of eBay prices on items from Japan are very high.

Shipping and handling could be a problem. I’m wondering if it’s a miscalculation in the conversion of yen.
    LACole
    Laurie Ann Cole

Northern UK20 Concert Mahogany
    Beaver Creek BCUKEFM-T Tenor Maple Flame
    Eddy Finn EF-Moon Concert Mahogany
    Beaver Creek BCUKE-S Soprano Mahogany

Maybe it isn't that high in Japan. Different standards of living.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    Maybe it isn't that high in Japan. Different standards of living.
    Right. But it's competing with non-Japanese items.

Iím guessing they are just brokering the instruments. The real instrument is probably in a shop for $1000 less and if you buy it through the auction they just go down the street, bay it, and ship it to you.

John

Hey Jerry! I've noticed the same thing....but, it's not all Japan. It's just one seller, "Future_Japan".

Their pricing is definitely on the high side. They currently have a used Martin S-O listed for $643.

I checked out their feedback as a seller and it doesn't appear that they've sold any ukes in the past 6 months.

So, it might just be wishful thinking.
    If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing! - Eric Idle

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I’m guessing they are just brokering the instruments. The real instrument is probably in a shop for $1000 less and if you buy it through the auction they just go down the street, bay it, and ship it to you.

John
    That's and interesting take on it. I would not have thought of that.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I've noticed this for years... even back around 2005 when I first started checking out prices on Ebay for musical instruments coming from Japan. I think it's a reflection of their market prices and, in some cases, rolling in "free" shipping.

Incidentally, I sold a banjo once to a buyer in Japan...it was held up in Japanese customs for 3 weeks. Though I'd sold to customers in France, Sweden, England, Ireland, Germany and Spain as well, none waited more than a few days to clear customs in those countries.
    Bruko No. 6; Kiwaya KS-1; Kiwaya KTS-4; Mainland Mahogany Classic; Mainland Red Cedar; Ohana SK-28; Cahaya CY-0112; Kiwaya KTC-1; Musicguymic's "Kolohe" concert; Cordoba 24T; Cordoba 30T; Kanilea Islander MST-4; Cordoba 24B

Quote Originally Posted by Xtradust View Post
    Hey Jerry! I've noticed the same thing....but, it's not all Japan. It's just one seller, "Future_Japan".

Their pricing is definitely on the high side. They currently have a used Martin S-O listed for $643.

I checked out their feedback as a seller and it doesn't appear that they've sold any ukes in the past 6 months.

So, it might just be wishful thinking.
    Interesting situation. Makes you wonder what's really going on.

Interesting situation. Makes you wonder what's really going on.
    If you sell ukulele brand X for $100 & I offer the same uke at $500, I will eventually sell it. It may take me longer, but will you sell 5 ukes before I sell my one? Hmm....

Further, if a potential buyer wants a higher quality uke, on EBAY he can easily specify that he only wants to view ukes priced at over $400. Your uke won't even be seen. Mine will.

Some buyers equate higher prices with higher quality. The correlation, however, is far from perfect (as we all know)

A possible strategy: You offer to sell uke X for $500 but include "Or best offer". I offer $200. You accept. I'm happy -- I "saved" $300. You're happy -- you made $100 extra profit.

There are all kinds of retailing strategies. Perhaps the Japan sellers have a strategy or maybe they are clueless. The same is often true for buyers.
    Last edited by bellgamin; 02-09-2019 at 12:29 PM.

Thread Information