Season 365 - Aloha!

A Hawaii vacation is on my bucket list. Have a great time, Randy!

Certainly have a better time than Ray Davies' character did here ...

I did this song awhile back, and it's so much fun I tried it again now. I knew this as a Roy Acuff song, he did it in the 50's, but this was originally from a 1933 Merry Melodies cartoon of the same title.

Honolulu Baby

<tck>Last year, at a fundraiser for the children of the Grenfell Tower scandal, I found myself chatting to a man who expressed an interest in having some ukulele tuition. We exchanged phone numbers and a week later, he called and asked if we could learn this song. I put a chord chart together, ready for our lesson.

When I went over to his apartment, he turned to me and said "You know I'm blind, don't you?" I'd figured that he must have been visually impaired, but no, I hadn't realised he was completely blind.

He then told me the story of why he wanted to learn this song. The day he'd first met the Italian woman who became his wife (before he lost his sight), she was so tanned and lovely, it had made him think of this song and so he'd sung it to her back then; and that's why he wanted to learn it now, to play it for her once more.

I guided his fingers onto the strings to show him how to form each of the chords. I then counted the beats for the chord changes "Am 1234 12, E7 34, Am 1234...," ), and we went through each section of the song like that. After 2 1/2 hours, he could play the whole song unaided.

I've achieved a lot of things in my life, but I don't think I've ever done anything that made me feel as proud.</tck>

Last edited:
O'Brien is tryin' to learn to talk Hawaiian

#2 in the US in 1917! I tried really hard to keep away from the 'Oirish' accents, but I failed miserably #donthateme :uhoh:

University of Indiana "Hawaii-themed" sheet music archive.

Lil (Val) just asked me where she could find a downloadable copy of the sheet music to "O'Brien" - I pointed her in the direction of the Indiana University, but it turns out that you can search their library for Hawaiian-themed music generally, to view and download; so if anyone's looking for something to try, here's the link

Indiana University, Lilly Library: In Harmony "Hawaii"

Last edited:
Aloha!
This song is a good one for helping Randy and Lori plan their travels in Hawaii!
It is about laughing and riding around (check out the way the street car shakes and makes Lori's body quiver!) to hang at the beach and swim in the sea.
But it is mostly about visiting different places and eating!
Yummy!

There is always a fly in the ointment, and a snake in the grass.
A WeeOriginal for the season - Apocalyptic Paradise Blues.

Someone had to do this song, and since I lack ideas for songs that have more substance - I might as well do it.

Rock A Hula Baby!

An old hapa haole song. Tried to do it in the original key, but it was a little high for me. I might do it better when I'm not so tired.

I got this Hank Snow song I'd never heard before done in about 15 minutes total, with a break for a dog walk in between. Tried to do the picking on the sopranino here, which is always a bit of a challenge.

I have done a couple of Half Man Half Biscuit songs before, and it's fair to say they have been met with a mixture of vague amusement and total bewilderment. So here's another one. It's only short, but you will have to stick around to the very end to find out what on earth it has to do with Hawaii.

Great theme, and thanks for hosting Randy. Like a few others, my relationship with the ukulele had nothing to do with Hawaii, but it has been fun exploring Hawaiian songs and artists, and listening to seasonistas bringing their versions of Aloha! I was exposed to this song at one of the monthly uke meetups here in Houston. Dug up the chart and gave it a go.

Ah, you folks are doing the trick! I'm getting into the Aloha Spirit in a big way! Here's the amazing songs so far:

New Land (Hawaii) • BirdsEyeViewOfMyUke
The Hula Hula Boys • jp888then
Kona Daze Uke • weerpool14
Diamond Head • jp888then
Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy • Turtledrum
Waimanalo Blues • pabrizzer
Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian • Old Gardener Guy
Hawaiian Echoes • Recovering Bassist
Ukulele Dream Girl ... Er, Boy • Limousin Lil
Song of the Islands • UkeintheHeartofTexas
Hawaiian Holiday • pabrizzer
Surfin' USA • Rick Henderson
Aloha Week Hula • Jazzbanjorex
Holiday in Waikiki • Rick Henderson
Little Brown Gal • Jazzbanjorex
Making Love Ukulele Style • Jazzbanjorex
I Like Mountain Music • Recovering Bassist
Honolulu Baby • redpaul101
O'Brien Is Tryin' To Learn To Talk Hawaiian • redpaul101
Hukilau Song • ktschp
Henehene Kou 'Aka (For You and I) • Christopher Fonda
Apocalyptic Paradise Blues • Old Gardener Guy
Rock A Hula Ba • UkingViking
I Want To Learn To Speak Hawaiian • UkeintheHeartofTexas
Hawaiian Cowboy • Recovering Bassist
On The Beach At Waikiki • redpaul101
Petty Session • steve phillips
Molokai Slide • Kevin Griffin
White Sandy Beach of Hawaii • UkeintheHeartofTexas

Great minds think alike! I see that Pabrizzer (Brian) has written a song about a trip to Hawaii that left a lot to be desired.

When I saw it I was busy with a similar idea. Only in mine the person woke up thinking they were in Hawaii, but they were in the Caribbean, having got on the wrong plane (or the plane having been hijacked to Cuba while he slept). I thought the idea was different enough that Pa wouldn't mind. Then it struck me that unless I set it in the 1960s, there was little chance of either event occurring in the real world. Too much security these day to be able to get on the wrong plane and no-one has hijacked a plane to Cuba in half a century.

So, I rehashed the idea and went with a modern day tourist seeking to find the real Hawaii.... But still caught up in the dream of a Hawaii that no longer exists.

Dedicated to Brian, here is:

Top Bottom