Season 365 - Aloha!

Harry122

Solid Citizen
UU VIP
Reaction score

The Rules:
• All songs this Season must be about Hawaii, or an aspect of Hawaii, or written by a Hawaiian, or popularized by a Hawaiian.
• Originals are encouraged!
• Your song must be newly-recorded and exclusively for Season 365.
• Don’t post any videos that are not entries – put those things on the Island.
• The video must say it’s for Season 365, either written or verbalized.
• No song Limit!
• Multitracking is fine, but the ukulele must be prominent and dominant.
• The Season runs eight days, starting at midnight Hawaii time (or I should say My Time!), Sunday, and ends eight days later at midnight, the end of the day, Sunday.
• Please comment on others’ work – it’s always well appreciated!

Prizes:
I’m going to find some mementos and keepsakes on Maui and use them as prizes!

Playlist

Wow! Congratulations! Hope we can get you psyched for the trip. This should be a fun season, Randy!

Hahahahaha- can I say that I love that we made it through 364 weeks before this was thrown out there? I can’t believe it, but yep. We did that. Now to find some songs that fit...because I only know one that mentions Hawaii.
My name is Dave and I play the ukulele.
Laughing from the gut.

TCK, i am a gazillion percent sure we have had a couple of hawaii-themed seasons before... as we should, this being ukulele world!! oooooooooooooooooooooooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay i've just realised the intro vid and post doesn't mention instrumentals :uhoh: i hope this is ok!! last year i remember being absolutely glued to live footage from hawaii on youtube of the lava flows and eruptions there, and seeing new land being created as we watched, as the molten rock flowed into the sea - here's a (very rudimentary!) instrumental inspired by it all...

Low hanging fruit for a Warren Zevon fan.I probably beat some to this one.But it's worth a few different versions. And Randy needs not fear the Hula Hula Boys.He's too cool a character.

Busy week so I'll get another one in now.An original.Mentions the Hawaiian considered the father of surfing.

Too much button down
Too much cold
Too much mortgage
Too much getting old

Snow has blocked my driveway
Cholesterol has blocked my heart
My good wife the ice queen
We sleep three rooms apart

There’s one thing I’m gonna do
Before they pronounce me dead
Gonna ride twenty feet of wave
Off a Diamond Head
Diamond Head

It’s true I can’t swim so well
And my surfing is much the same
But legend has it
There’s magic in a name

When the moon is holding water
And regret has lost it’s shape
Call the Duke’s name three times
And the Duke will keep you safe

Duke Kahanamoku
Please look down on me
Duke Kahanamoku
I’m scared as a boy can be
Duke Kahanamoku
I said it now three times
I also beg the universe
Forgive my selfish crimes

There’s one thing I’m gonna do
Before they pronounce me dead
Gonna ride twenty feet of wave
Off a Diamond Head
Diamond Head

What a way to go
Better than shovelling snow

Diamond Head
Diamond Head

Season 365. Submission 1. “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” (Written by Don Raye and Hughie Prince, 1941)

This song was a huge hit for the Andrews Sisters in 1941. While many artists have covered it, another notable performance was that by Bette Midler in 1972.

Bette Midler was born in Honolulu in 1945 and lived in Hawaii until 1965, when she relocated to New York City.

Randy, thank you very much for hosting this wonderful anniversary week and your fine theme!

Interesting theme, and very suitable for this ukulele forum. I don't know that much about Hawaii, but my KoAloha uke was born there.

Just put up a little wrap on the season 362 thread. Thanks to everyone who took part and sorry for the delay in wrapping it up.

Here's an early Webb Pierce song, from around 1950, before he was famous nationally. I don't do much Hawaiian music, but I wanted to try it. They did a different lead solo on the intro than in the middle, so I attempted both.

My name is Dave and I play the ukulele.

:nana:

Hello Randy ... thanks for a great "celebratory" Season! I have to admit, although it is probably tantamount to heresy, that I really do not like Hawaiian songs. One of the reasons I don't like them - and I am talking here about the "vacation in Hawaii" type songs - is that women always seem to be portrayed as sex objects/playthings, with all the "wicky, wacky, woo" that that entails. So, to redress the balance, I have changed the gender of the protagonist here to female and her love object to a dinky little "Ukulele Dream Boy". And this song is dedicated to ALL the beautiful "Ukulele Dream Boys" here on the Seasons!

Marty Robbins did at least one full album of Hawaii-related songs. I had to drop this one 3 half-steps to be able to sing it--my voice isn't as high has his was. But the original does use a ukulele, tuned C6, in the key of F. So I couldn't play it exactly like the original because I had to change keys, but what the hey.

Aloha! I'll need some help for this one, so it's in C.

By Brian Wilson (with a big assist from Chuck Berry, who eventually got paid)

Top Bottom