Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 365 - Aloha!

A Hawaii vacation is on my bucket list. Have a great time, Randy!

Certainly have a better time than Ray Davies' character did here ...

Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Lanikai LU22CFM laminate flame maple concert • Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor • Makala MK-CE concert • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I did this song awhile back, and it's so much fun I tried it again now. I knew this as a Roy Acuff song, he did it in the 50's, but this was originally from a 1933 Merry Melodies cartoon of the same title.

Default Honolulu Baby

<tck>Last year, at a fundraiser for the children of the Grenfell Tower scandal, I found myself chatting to a man who expressed an interest in having some ukulele tuition. We exchanged phone numbers and a week later, he called and asked if we could learn this song. I put a chord chart together, ready for our lesson.

When I went over to his apartment, he turned to me and said "You know I'm blind, don't you?" I'd figured that he must have been visually impaired, but no, I hadn't realised he was completely blind.

He then told me the story of why he wanted to learn this song. The day he'd first met the Italian woman who became his wife (before he lost his sight), she was so tanned and lovely, it had made him think of this song and so he'd sung it to her back then; and that's why he wanted to learn it now, to play it for her once more.

I guided his fingers onto the strings to show him how to form each of the chords. I then counted the beats for the chord changes "Am 1234 12, E7 34, Am 1234...," ), and we went through each section of the song like that. After 2 1/2 hours, he could play the whole song unaided.

I've achieved a lot of things in my life, but I don't think I've ever done anything that made me feel as proud.</tck>

Last edited by redpaul1; 02-11-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Default O'Brien is tryin' to learn to talk Hawaiian

#2 in the US in 1917! I tried really hard to keep away from the 'Oirish' accents, but I failed miserably #donthateme

Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton sop. | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SSTU travel sopranissimo | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Maholo sop. | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Default University of Indiana "Hawaii-themed" sheet music archive.

Lil (Val) just asked me where she could find a downloadable copy of the sheet music to "O'Brien" - I pointed her in the direction of the Indiana University, but it turns out that you can search their library for Hawaiian-themed music generally, to view and download; so if anyone's looking for something to try, here's the link

Indiana University, Lilly Library: In Harmony "Hawaii"
    Last edited by redpaul1; 02-12-2019 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Too Drunk To Pluck

Soprano, bariton and sopranino bait for the fish

Aloha!
    This song is a good one for helping Randy and Lori plan their travels in Hawaii!
    It is about laughing and riding around (check out the way the street car shakes and makes Lori's body quiver!) to hang at the beach and swim in the sea.
    But it is mostly about visiting different places and eating!
    Yummy!

There is always a fly in the ointment, and a snake in the grass.
    A WeeOriginal for the season - Apocalyptic Paradise Blues.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

Thread Information