Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Kala Elite

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,339

    Default Kala Elite

    Tell me about the neck on a Kala Elite. I know itís 1.5 inch nut. Thin, medium, or thick neck? C shape or D?
    Thanks
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    An airpark in NC
    Posts
    300

    Default

    I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.
    UAS!!!
    • Kamaka HB-2D Ohta San, 5.0 P/U
    • Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-My Favorite!
    • Kanile'a Custom Baritone, gCEA
    • Kala KA-SRT/MA, Michael Aratani Model, 5.0 P/U, gCEA
    • Koaloha KTM-00 Tenor
    • Anuenue UT200E Tenor Moon Bird
    • Firefly Concert Banjolele
    • Kanile'a KPA-C-PREM Concert
    • Anuenue UT140 Tenor Light Bird, AirAir P/U, gCEA
    • Anuenue US200 Soprano Moon Bird
    • 2nd Anuenue UC200E Concert Moon Bird-, lowG, my other Fav!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I have a Kala elite 3 tenor with the 1.5" nut. I would say the neck is C shaped and not very thick. It compares vary close to the Cordoba 24T that I own. I would say the neck is an inch or less in thickness.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    WPB, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    (my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

    I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
    It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
    It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

    Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

    "Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
    Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
    Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
    Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 02-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

  5. #5

    Default

    I'm not really sure what the different is between a C or D shape to a neck and I don't know the exact widths, but subjectively I found the neck on my Elite baritone 'flatter/thinner' than Ponos I've played - and perhaps even flatter than the cheaper Kala baritones. If anything was more 'difficult' to play, it was the string spacing which seemed marginally wider than other 1.5" necks I've played and also that the neck gets wider more 'acutely' than other ukes I've played (so the string spacing seems to get wider more quickly also, as it gets closer to the bridge). However, after a while I ended up preferring this, even though it seemed harder to play.

    As I say, I haven't measured any of the above, it's just a personal playing experience. Your mileage may vary.

    Kala seem to have discontinued Elite baritones for some reason.
    Last edited by Strumaround; 02-09-2019 at 07:59 PM.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shanmoon View Post
    I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.
    That's all interesting to hear. I was considering a Kanilea Baritone, but wondered about the depth. I'm assuming that's the one in your profile? I wonder if all their models are similar?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,339

    Default

    Thanks everyone. I thought I recalled the guys at HMS telling me that the Kala Elite neck was a little thicker, but I wasn't sure.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    (my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

    I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
    It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
    It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

    Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

    "Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
    Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
    Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
    Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"
    I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

    Andy

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    WPB, FL
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy2353 View Post
    I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

    Andy
    As much as I like my 1KOA-T, I wish I would have gotten a Elite Concert.
    I'll probably end up getting a Elite "Doghair" Mahogany Concert once they start making them with their X bracing.
    According to some NAMM videos. Kala is going to start using X bracing in the whole Elite lineup.
    Ukuleles:
    1960's Martin Style-0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Fred Shields Style-0 Replica
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Letting this one go soon. PM if interested.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Sparta, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,739

    Default

    Kala Elite Custom Myrtle/Spruce Tenor
    38mm (1.500") W. nut edge to edge
    31mm (1.220") center G slot to center A slot
    45mm W. (1.772") middle of 7th fret
    48mm W. (1.890") middle of 12th fret

    Depth of widest point of back of neck to front of fretboard:
    20mm (0.787") at middle of 5th fret
    21mm (0.827") at middle of 7th fret
    23mm (0.905") at middle of 10th fret

    Measurements taken with an analog bow caliper and then laid on a ruler.
    Could not take a measurement for neck depth at 1st fret without removing some strings. Nor 12th fret depth because the heel started there. Conversions rounded to 1000th.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •