Thread: Kala Elite

Default Kala Elite

Tell me about the neck on a Kala Elite. I know itís 1.5 inch nut. Thin, medium, or thick neck? C shape or D?
    Thanks
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.

My Symptoms of UAS
    1. Kamaka HB-2D Deluxe (Ohta San), UPT Tuners, FIVE.0 P/U
    2. Kanile'a Premium Super Soprano KCS-SSP
    3. Flight TUS50, Soprano Travel Uke
    4. Pono MGBD Mango Baritone Deluxe, FIVE.0 P/U
    5. aNueNue Moon Bird Concert UC200E
    6. aNueNue Moon Bird Tenor UT200E
    7. Kanile'a Custom Baritone Spruce Top KSDLX
    8. Pono ETSHC-PC Cedar/Macassar Slothead Cutaway Tenor
    9. Islander GL6, K&K P/U

I have a Kala elite 3 tenor with the 1.5" nut. I would say the neck is C shaped and not very thick. It compares vary close to the Cordoba 24T that I own. I would say the neck is an inch or less in thickness.

(my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
    It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
    It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

"Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
    Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
    Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
    Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 02-09-2019 at 07:09 PM.
    Ukuleles:
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T
    Soon - LoPrinzi Custom Concert
    Ohana SK-25S

I'm not really sure what the different is between a C or D shape to a neck and I don't know the exact widths, but subjectively I found the neck on my Elite baritone 'flatter/thinner' than Ponos I've played - and perhaps even flatter than the cheaper Kala baritones. If anything was more 'difficult' to play, it was the string spacing which seemed marginally wider than other 1.5" necks I've played and also that the neck gets wider more 'acutely' than other ukes I've played (so the string spacing seems to get wider more quickly also, as it gets closer to the bridge). However, after a while I ended up preferring this, even though it seemed harder to play.

As I say, I haven't measured any of the above, it's just a personal playing experience. Your mileage may vary.

Kala seem to have discontinued Elite baritones for some reason.
    Last edited by Strumaround; 02-09-2019 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanmoon View Post
    I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.
    That's all interesting to hear. I was considering a Kanilea Baritone, but wondered about the depth. I'm assuming that's the one in your profile? I wonder if all their models are similar?

Thanks everyone. I thought I recalled the guys at HMS telling me that the Kala Elite neck was a little thicker, but I wasn't sure.
    My ukulele family.....
    Islander Acacia laminate soprano
    KoAloha concert - circa 2006
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by CommonCurt View Post
    (my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
    It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
    It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

"Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
    Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
    Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
    Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"
    I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andy2353 View Post
    I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

Andy
    As much as I like my 1KOA-T, I wish I would have gotten a Elite Concert.
    I'll probably end up getting a Elite "Doghair" Mahogany Concert once they start making them with their X bracing.
    According to some NAMM videos. Kala is going to start using X bracing in the whole Elite lineup.
    Ukuleles:
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T
    Soon - LoPrinzi Custom Concert
    Ohana SK-25S

Kala Elite Custom Myrtle/Spruce Tenor
    38mm (1.500") W. nut edge to edge
    31mm (1.220") center G slot to center A slot
    45mm W. (1.772") middle of 7th fret
    48mm W. (1.890") middle of 12th fret

Depth of widest point of back of neck to front of fretboard:
    20mm (0.787") at middle of 5th fret
    21mm (0.827") at middle of 7th fret
    23mm (0.905") at middle of 10th fret

Measurements taken with an analog bow caliper and then laid on a ruler.
    Could not take a measurement for neck depth at 1st fret without removing some strings. Nor 12th fret depth because the heel started there. Conversions rounded to 1000th.

Thread Information