Kala Elite

RafterGirl

Reaction score
Tell me about the neck on a Kala Elite. I know it’s 1.5 inch nut. Thin, medium, or thick neck? C shape or D?
Thanks

I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.

I have a Kala elite 3 tenor with the 1.5" nut. I would say the neck is C shaped and not very thick. It compares vary close to the Cordoba 24T that I own. I would say the neck is an inch or less in thickness.

(my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

"Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what the different is between a C or D shape to a neck and I don't know the exact widths, but subjectively I found the neck on my Elite baritone 'flatter/thinner' than Ponos I've played - and perhaps even flatter than the cheaper Kala baritones. If anything was more 'difficult' to play, it was the string spacing which seemed marginally wider than other 1.5" necks I've played and also that the neck gets wider more 'acutely' than other ukes I've played (so the string spacing seems to get wider more quickly also, as it gets closer to the bridge). However, after a while I ended up preferring this, even though it seemed harder to play.

As I say, I haven't measured any of the above, it's just a personal playing experience. Your mileage may vary.

Kala seem to have discontinued Elite baritones for some reason.

Last edited:
I had a Kala Elite Tenor. I like a wide nut, but I ended up selling it because the thick neck (front to back) made it almost imposible to play. In contrast, My Kanilea Baritone also has a wide nut, but the depth of the neck is much shallower. I recall my Kala as having a D shaped neck, but I could be misremembering. I have small palms, but long fingers for my palm size...so I can manage a 1.5" nut if the neck is not thick. My pono tenor is hard to play for that reason also, but I love the sound so much I play it anyway and put up with some hand cramps, lol. It has a slightly less wide nut but VERY thick neck.

That's all interesting to hear. I was considering a Kanilea Baritone, but wondered about the depth. I'm assuming that's the one in your profile? I wonder if all their models are similar?

Thanks everyone. I thought I recalled the guys at HMS telling me that the Kala Elite neck was a little thicker, but I wasn't sure.

(my god it was a chore to post this. Keeps telling me I'm posting too fast when I'm not)

I would say my 1KOA-T with a 1.5" nut has a D-ish shaped neck.
It's definitely not as rounded as most imports that you see IMO.
It has some flatness to the back of the neck.

Here is what Kala says the specs are for all their Elite tenors (looks to be the same for the Concerts as well):

"Fingerboard width at nut: 1.5 inches,
Fingerboard width at 12th fret: 1.96 inches,
Neck Depth at 1st Fret: 0.6875 inches,
Neck Depth at 7th Fret: 0.78 inches"

I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

Andy

I have a kala elite concert and these measurements seem accurate. I picked mine up used about a month ago and I am more and more impressed with the tone. I also find it easy to play. It has a 15 1/2” scale, and that extra half inch just adds that little bit more room and little bit more sustain. Highly recommended.

Andy

As much as I like my 1KOA-T, I wish I would have gotten a Elite Concert.
I'll probably end up getting a Elite "Doghair" Mahogany Concert once they start making them with their X bracing.
According to some NAMM videos. Kala is going to start using X bracing in the whole Elite lineup.

Kala Elite Custom Myrtle/Spruce Tenor
38mm (1.500") W. nut edge to edge
31mm (1.220") center G slot to center A slot
45mm W. (1.772") middle of 7th fret
48mm W. (1.890") middle of 12th fret

Depth of widest point of back of neck to front of fretboard:
20mm (0.787") at middle of 5th fret
21mm (0.827") at middle of 7th fret
23mm (0.905") at middle of 10th fret

Measurements taken with an analog bow caliper and then laid on a ruler.
Could not take a measurement for neck depth at 1st fret without removing some strings. Nor 12th fret depth because the heel started there. Conversions rounded to 1000th.

I’ve had two early concerts and one early tenor. I didn’t find the neck excessively deep on any of them. I can’t remember much about the neck of the concert I no longer own, but the one I still have is C shaped, flatter, and less thick. I think I’d check the individual uke before I bought it if it’s important to you.

I originally planned to get the neck on the tenor modified, as I was used to super thin Kiwaya necks . But by the time I sold it, I wouldn’t have bothered. I got used to it and liked it.

if they’ve settled on a standard, that’s great, but for a while they seem to have produced some variations of thick, medium, C and D.

I own three Elites—two doggie 'n one Koa—and the neck profile is consistent. Thicker than the average Pono and more of a D shape contour. I find them comfy but I prefer a beefy board of a neck (used to classical guitars). With that said, my left hand is able to adapt to almost anything within reason as I easily switch between the broomstick like "C" neck on my Kremona Coco tenor to the larger Elite Doghair and to a Jose Ramirez long scale classical guitar without flinching. The only neck that I found difficult to play was a Romero Creations tenor. The neck width (1.5" wide) was fine but the profile was so darn thin and flat it felt awkward and uncomfortable, even after several months, so I sold it. For me, the thicker the neck, the more relaxing and comfy for my hand.

Top Bottom