Become Certified

Jerryc41

Reaction score
i'm already certified, committed and condemned.
i'll pass on this opportunity.

I just watched the promo shite video.
I mean, can I really REALLY get a badge on Credlydotcom
and a "certificate of completion"?
Seriously Jerry, are you kidding or what.

“I Kid You Not” - popularized by Jack Paar. :)

Either way, a very useful word order.

Last edited:
I know damn good and well I'm certifiable. After being retired for over a year I went back to work part time in nursing....WTH?
It's a wonderful (hospice) company, and I love the people, but I gave notice already after 6 months.
I've had enough of the drama...
Sorry to highjack your thread.
I am going to take the Ukulele Way, may start tomorrow!

“I Kid You Not” - popularized by Jack Paar. :)

Either way, a very useful word order.

Lol... I wonder how many people have even heard of Jack Paar, much less seen his show. Pretty much ahead of his time.

John

Here's another way to become "Certified," whatever that means. James Hill is offering a certification program for ukulele instructors, and now Chee/Maisel is offering four certification courses through ArtistWorks.

https://try.artistworks.com/3rd-par...blast_reg&mc_cid=5ae86328be&mc_eid=7aa2cb3a84
I think that the Craig Chee/Sarah Maisel is just online lessons. The certification is just a validation so that the student knows that they have learned something. Haha, that way they can show people their certification framed on the wall instead of actually playing their ukulele if they want people to appreciate their achievement. That was snarky, wasn't it?:)

Lol... I wonder how many people have even heard of Jack Paar, much less seen his show. Pretty much ahead of his time.

John

True, I'm 68 and I hardly remember Jack Paar. At the time he was someone my parents watched.

I loved Jack Paar. I responded to that the way I respond when someone credits Arlo Guthrie with "City of New Orleans". :)

Re certification - I need structure to accomplish anything that isn't work-related, and I seldom have the time to devote to other pursuits. I don't care about "certification" per se, but if I thought I would actually complete the weekly lessons and submit videos, I'd sign up in a second. I've been a part of their regular ArtistWorks course since its inception and have done virtually nothing with it.

Re certification - I need structure to accomplish anything that isn't work-related, and I seldom have the time to devote to other pursuits. I don't care about "certification" per se, but if I thought I would actually complete the weekly lessons and submit videos, I'd sign up in a second. I've been a part of their regular ArtistWorks course since its inception and have done virtually nothing with it.
I am good with structure. But I get along best with structure that I have created for myself. I find it very difficult to march to someone else's drum beat. I think that over the years I've built a good structure to follow and so far it is leading me in the direction that I want to go.

One thing that I think about is validation and identity. I'm talking about beginner, intermediate, and beyond intermediate, whatever you want to call it. Those levels are always so arbitrary and meaningless. Somebody makes a list of accomplishments that in their opinion are what everyone should be doing and which of those accomplishments have value, and then they draw a couple of lines to group them. Who has been given the authority to do that? I've noticed that most people start posts with "I'm just a beginner, but" as a disclaimer for anything and everything they do. I watch videos that they post, and many of them are not beginners. But beginner is a safe place to be. As soon as you say that you are more than a beginner, there may be those scary expectations. Once in a while I see someone who will stick their neck out and say that they are an intermediate. Why is it that we can't just be what we are? I am what I am and that's all that I am, Popeye. I am a singer and a ukulele player, and I am going to sing and play. I am not going to label myself, you can decide. That is my attitude. Anyway, thank you so much everyone for letting me prattle on here today. I hope you all have a nice day, and don't forget to play your ukulele.

Last edited:
Do notice that there is a difference between
- courses leading to certification (the ones mentioned here, organised by James and Craig&Sarah) and
- simple certification exams (the London School of Music has standarised musical aptitude tests for ukulele, but there are competitors: Rockschool, Trinity College, Registry of Guitar Tutors).

The latter do need some kind of official character, in my opinion, but I can see a use for them. Not in an atmosphere of informal ukulele clubs, but rather in auditioning for orchestras, recruting teachers, assessing the levels of workshops... I've found it's very hard to guess if someone knows how to play all the basic chords, use chord inversions, sight read (at what speed?), change time signatures, keep a beat, improvise within a scale. What is 'advanced' of 'intermediate' exactly? These certifications give a more or less objective measurement. Labels can be handy.

I suppose the reason a lot of ukulele players refrain from calling themselves advanced, is the sight reading thing. Compared to other musical instruments, a lot of very capable ukulele players never started with reading music from paper, which might explain the self-depreciation.

I teach and have taught quite a bit.

This is just not my bag.

I tend to see these sorts of things as a way for artists to augment their income. Nothing wrong with that. I support James Hill as well, by being signed up for the Ukulele Way and doing nothing with it. This thread reminds me that I might give it another stab, being as I'm paying for it :) I see some sense in the certification business as a means of motivation for some folks who respond well to that sort of "carrot". I just don't, so it wouldn't work for me.

I see some sense in the certification business as a means of motivation for some folks who respond well to that sort of "carrot". I just don't, so it wouldn't work for me.

I wonder if there is an organization that has requirements for certification. Could I offer an extensive course and then say that my students are certified instructors? With a governing body, there would be requirements to be a certified instructor, but I can't imagine a national ukulele certification organization.

The latter do need some kind of official character, in my opinion, but I can see a use for them. Not in an atmosphere of informal ukulele clubs, but rather in auditioning for orchestras, recruting teachers, assessing the levels of workshops... I've found it's very hard to guess if someone knows how to play all the basic chords, use chord inversions, sight read (at what speed?), change time signatures, keep a beat, improvise within a scale. What is 'advanced' of 'intermediate' exactly? These certifications give a more or less objective measurement. Labels can be handy.
I think that you make a good point. At a professional level those certifications could be more meaningful. I guess that my question would be when that level is reached? On thing, I wonder how closely people look at the qualifications of ukulele instructors when they are looking for one. I know that where I live ukulele instructors are nonexistent. Pretty much someone sees someone else playing a ukulele and they are automatically assumed to be potential instructor material. I know that from my own experience. I've had many people ask me to give them lessons without any thought to my abilities to teach. Lucky for them I know that I am not qualified. I would imagine that in a competitive market where there are more people giving lessons, there would be more attention to their qualifications. Along those same lines, if one wants to be an instructor, connecting themselves to someone more recognizable in the ukulele world could be beneficial. No one has heard of rllink as a ukulele virtuoso, but someone new to ukuleles will probably become familiar James Hill fairly quickly. Being a James Hill certified instructor would allow one to ride on his name and set them apart from those who may not be affiliated with anyone recognizable.

Last edited:

John

I remember Jack Parr.

Top Bottom