Become Certified

Thinking it over, there is also a difference between ukulele skills certification and ukulele teaching skills certification. Being a good player isn't the same as being a good teacher, although there is quite some overlap.

The latter needs more educational skills: spotting mistakes, taking it easy, building up skills not just by slowing it down or breaking it up, but often by showing some sideways to the skill... I haven't followed the James Hill teacher course (he offers both, BTW), but I do know someone who did, and there are very useful tricks and steps that he uses: twin chords, teaching time signatures, vocalising rhythms before playing them, one finger - two finger - three finger chords...

The main reason I do like some kind of certification, is the proliferation of ukulele courses that are given by people who can simply play a little bit of guitar.

Last edited:
Definitely! There is a big difference between playing and teaching someone to play.

You're right Jerry. I'm a lousy player, but a darn good teacher, as long as my students are beginners or advanced beginners. Lots of people have told me my teaching style is unique, but really, I just try not to leave anything out, so folks have a solid basis to start from.
2 of my beginners are now doing gigs, I'm very proud of them.
We're signed up in the Ukulele Way, almost a week now, and I haven't even looked at it. I keep forgetting, there are too many chores to attend to around here. Da----t.
As far as being Certified, I think it might carry some weight, I hope one day to be teaching schoolteachers how to teach kids the ukulele. I can't see me getting that "job" unless I'm certified.
I am a Certified Music Clinician/Nurse, which does carry some weight, at least in hospice. I do what other nurses don't.

Last edited:
My wife thinks I'm certifiable...

She reminds me of this whenever she spots my latest ukulele

Top Bottom