Ukuleles with scale length between concert and tenor

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi,

I am very courious about the options for concert ukuleles with slightly longer scale than the usual 15 inches.

Which brands are you aware of?

I have heard of:

Fluke 15,5 inches
Kala Elite 15,5 inches
Koa Pili Koko 15,5 inches
Kamoa Grand concert model 16 inches
Kamaka Ohta San model 16 inches
Cocobolo ukuleles 16 inches
Ono ukuleles 16 inches

Any brands that I am not aware of?
Or any where I am wrong about the scale length.
I know that several brands have super concerts with full 17 inches tenor necks, but I am looking for In betweens.

Preferably a brand that makes a satin finish solid koa/akacia model that is a bit cheaper than the Ohta san... But any makers might as well go on the list.

Edit: Koa Pili Koko added.

Last edited:
Dave Talsma told me he would do any scale length. I think he really meant any length. So, probably any custom builder will give you what you want.

Iriguchi Ukulele makes a hybrid size. It's called the IDeale. Check their website. They're located in Carmaichael, California.

My KPK soprano longneck is 15.5".

And I almost commissioned a semi-custom soprano Sailor Brand with 16". They were willing to build it, but that was just before I found the Cocobolo and I went that way instead

Last edited:
I have a ukulele built by David Newton (when he was still building ukuleles) that has a 16 inch scale.

I have a wonderful custom 16" concert ukulele built for me by Michael Smith of Goat Rock Ukuleles in California. .........highly recomended.

Thanks for the suggestions!
I added the kpk brand to the list.

I understand that many luthiers will custom build a desired scale length. I am not sure whether Iriguchi makes stock ukuleles or only costums, their Web page say that the ideale model has scale length 15-17, does that mean that you choose a costum lenght in between?

Anyway, I am trying to list makers with a stock 15,5 or 16 inch scale model. I know that Ono is also costum build, but the web page makes it very transparent to see the costs, and it seems that 16 inches is his normal concert build. So you wouldnt need to ask for it as something unusual, and it is probably more affordable that way. I have no clue what costum ukes cost at other luthiers.

The Kpk brand sure looks like an affordable uke with extra scale length.

I am not sure whether Iriguchi makes stock ukuleles or only costums, their Web page say that the ideale model has scale length 15-17, does that mean that you choose a costum lenght in between

I believe he generally builds "to order" which isn't quite "custom" but gives you opportunity to choose quite a few elements including top wood and scale length. I know you can also get a custom painted back if that's your preference. I'm not sure if he would do a truly customized scale length but I do know he can put a 15, 16, or 17" neck on the Ideale body. He's a great guy to work with. His contact email is on the site so just give him a message if you have something in mind. I have no idea what his current prices are but he'll be very up front with you about that.

I believe he generally builds "to order" which isn't quite "custom" but gives you opportunity to choose quite a few elements including top wood and scale length. I know you can also get a custom painted back if that's your preference. I'm not sure if he would do a truly customized scale length but I do know he can put a 15, 16, or 17" neck on the Ideale body. He's a great guy to work with. His contact email is on the site so just give him a message if you have something in mind. I have no idea what his current prices are but he'll be very up front with you about that.

Well, I am not about to buy soon, and I am not that hooked on the looks of those.
I joined the cocobolo Facebook group to keep an eye on their creations, I might get one if the right one appears...
I dont even know if they ship to Europe. And perhaps I should look more at Koa ukes, as I would like something with that kind of ring, but with more definition than my blackwood (Akacia) uke and easier to handle than my fluke.

Mostly started this thread to know the options in different price groups, and thought that others might want an overview too.

Top Bottom