Thread: Tenors - Kala SMHT, KTG or Martin T1K?

Default Tenors - Kala SMHT, KTG or Martin T1K?

Hey everyone,

I have been playing on the Kala KA-C concert for more than 4 years and thinking of upgrading to a solid wood tenor. After some research, I have managed to zoom down to the following.

Kala KA-SMHT
    Kala KA-KTG
    Martin T1K

I would like the idea of having a solid koa uke but have read some negative reviews that the Kala KTG has some fretboard flaws. I have read rave reviews about the Kala SMHT and Martin.

I am not sure about how much differences are there between Koa and Mahogany wood.

Need some advice on whether I should just go with the SMHT or bite the bullet and go for the Martin which is double the price.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by lexxmexx View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have been playing on the Kala KA-C concert for more than 4 years and thinking of upgrading to a solid wood tenor. After some research, I have managed to zoom down to the following.

Kala KA-SMHT
    Kala KA-KTG
    Martin T1K

I would like the idea of having a solid koa uke but have read some negative reviews that the Kala KTG has some fretboard flaws. I have read rave reviews about the Kala SMHT and Martin.

I am not sure about how much differences are there between Koa and Mahogany wood.

Need some advice on whether I should just go with the SMHT or bite the bullet and go for the Martin which is double the price.

Thanks in advance.
    One thing to consider is that the Martin comes with a great gig bag while the Kala does not so that may narrow the price gap enough to justify getting the better (in my opinion) Martin T1K.
    Martin OXK Soprano
    Kamaka HF3 Tenor
    Eastman EU3C Concert
    Martin S1
    Martin T1K

IMHO, koa has a brighter sound, so be sure you like that before going with koa, especially if you are used to the possibly warmer/fuller tone of mahogany.
    John

I like my Martin T1k a lot. I didn't realise how good it sounded until I listened to someone else playing it. Downsides are cheap headstock logo that peels off after pressure from clamp on tuners. And a soft finish, easily marked with a fingernail so it will look roadworn after a while.

I think the Kala KTG is actually laminate koa and not solid wood.
    Cordoba Tenor Bocote

Thanks to everyone for your valuable opinions. I think I will just go for the SMHT

I have the electric cutaway Kala SMHT. It's currently my "jazz and blues" uke...it loves mellow strings with a low g.

I have a T1-K and love it. Great sound and well built and the one I got happens to have nice looking koa too

Thread Information