Tenors - Kala SMHT, KTG or Martin T1K?

lexxmexx

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have been playing on the Kala KA-C concert for more than 4 years and thinking of upgrading to a solid wood tenor. After some research, I have managed to zoom down to the following.

Kala KA-SMHT
Kala KA-KTG
Martin T1K

I would like the idea of having a solid koa uke but have read some negative reviews that the Kala KTG has some fretboard flaws. I have read rave reviews about the Kala SMHT and Martin.

I am not sure about how much differences are there between Koa and Mahogany wood.

Need some advice on whether I should just go with the SMHT or bite the bullet and go for the Martin which is double the price.

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

I have been playing on the Kala KA-C concert for more than 4 years and thinking of upgrading to a solid wood tenor. After some research, I have managed to zoom down to the following.

Kala KA-SMHT
Kala KA-KTG
Martin T1K

I would like the idea of having a solid koa uke but have read some negative reviews that the Kala KTG has some fretboard flaws. I have read rave reviews about the Kala SMHT and Martin.

I am not sure about how much differences are there between Koa and Mahogany wood.

Need some advice on whether I should just go with the SMHT or bite the bullet and go for the Martin which is double the price.

Thanks in advance.

One thing to consider is that the Martin comes with a great gig bag while the Kala does not so that may narrow the price gap enough to justify getting the better (in my opinion) Martin T1K.

I like my Martin T1k a lot. I didn't realise how good it sounded until I listened to someone else playing it. Downsides are cheap headstock logo that peels off after pressure from clamp on tuners. And a soft finish, easily marked with a fingernail so it will look roadworn after a while.

I think the Kala KTG is actually laminate koa and not solid wood.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable opinions. I think I will just go for the SMHT :eek:

I have the electric cutaway Kala SMHT. It's currently my "jazz and blues" uke...it loves mellow strings with a low g.

I have a T1-K and love it. Great sound and well built and the one I got happens to have nice looking koa too

Very different price-points with those three, so feels like you are comparing oranges and apples.
Kala SMHT is about half the price of the Martin T1K.
That said, the T1K will knock the other two out of the park sound-wise. Be aware of a huge variety of of grain (from very straight to nicely flamed to weirdly wild) with the T1K - I would want to see before buying on that one (I'm picky that way.)
The two Kalas are consistent in their class and not disappointing for the price!
But the KTG is a laminate. Go for solid wood if you're willing to take care of it.

Do you have the opportunity to try any of them out before buying? You'll get a lot of Martin lovers convincing you to get the Martin and another group saying the new Martins aren't great. For me, I like the "idea" of owning a Martin more so than the actual instrument - at least the modern '1' series. If you try it and you love it, go for it (as long as you love it twice as much as the cheaper options!).

Top Bottom