Crazy, but does anyone else see an image in their grain pattern?

You play it right? Does it sound mellow like a moose or bright like a dragon?

I haven’t had a chance to play it yet—bought on eBay and am cleaning and treating the fingerboard, cleaning and prepping the tuners, and cleaning but “doing no harm” to the body. I just hope it doesn’t sound like a 70-year-old shoebox.

I haven’t had a chance to play it yet—bought on eBay and am cleaning and treating the fingerboard, cleaning and prepping the tuners, and cleaning but “doing no harm” to the body. I just hope it doesn’t sound like a 70-year-old shoebox.

There are a lot of members here that sound good at 70 years. Must have "opened up" with age.

Last edited:
Awesome, now I’m going to have to really look at the backs of all my ukes, especially the Martins.

Actually I didn’t see the image until I put it in the bright sunlight, took a picture, and then enlarged it. Maybe the sunlight unleashes the spirit animal?

I think I’m losing it.

There is a hook-nosed old goblin that lives in the tiles on my bathroom floor. He stares at me with a wicked smile every time I take up the throne.

That's interesting, MopMan, as I am similarly greeted by a peaceful image of Abe Lincoln (coincidentally, I live in Springfield, Illinois) in my bathroom linoleum.
In the attached photo, you can spot him just about in the center, kind of a head-and-shoulders angle... and yes, I realize I've wandered way off-topic!

IMG_20190215_225001.jpg

Poor old Abe is looking rough these days! Have you looked for any more presidential images in the linoleum? Your bathroom could rival Mount Rushmore.

John Colter.

That's interesting, MopMan, as I am similarly greeted by a peaceful image of Abe Lincoln (coincidentally, I live in Springfield, Illinois) in my bathroom linoleum.
In the attached photo, you can spot him just about in the center, kind of a head-and-shoulders angle... and yes, I realize I've wandered way off-topic!

View attachment 115604

pfft... anyone can see that's Ernest Hemingway.

Dragon!

200px-Eldest_book_cover.jpg

All hail the dark lord Moosedragon!
Await the sounding of the Bm7 - then all prisoners shall be released!

Tbh I get pareidolia big time and see weird faces in wood grain, marble tile, tree bark... pretty much anything.
As long as the faces don't start talking I feel like I'm ok.

Last edited:
Poor old Abe is looking rough these days! Have you looked for any more presidential images in the linoleum? Your bathroom could rival Mount Rushmore.

John Colter.

Hahahahaha! "Mount Flushmore"! I think you're probably right, John. But I must say, it was quite a surprise to discover Abe's image in my linoleum; I was floored...

Last edited:
pfft... anyone can see that's Ernest Hemingway.

Ha! Yes, you have a point there, Yankee! Well, in any event, your observation got me thinking that I never really became familiar with Hemingway's works, so I just did a little looking online and was reminded of how many treasured novels and short stories he authored, and for the life of me I don't recall ever reading even one of them (unless it was in high school and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should've because I had my mind on learning whatever songs by Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, James Taylor, the Beatles, or Creedence Clearwater were popular at the time!). So, I just might grab the Kindle version of one of those Hemingway works and give it a whirl-- any suggestions for the first try?

Ha! Yes, you have a point there, Yankee! Well, in any event, your observation got me thinking that I never really became familiar with Hemingway's works, so I just did a little looking online and was reminded of how many treasured novels and short stories he authored, and for the life of me I don't recall ever reading even one of them (unless it was in high school and I wasn't paying as much attention as I should've because I had my mind on learning whatever songs by Chicago, The Doobie Brothers, James Taylor, the Beatles, or Creedence Clearwater were popular at the time!). So, I just might grab the Kindle version of one of those Hemingway works and give it a whirl-- any suggestions for the first try?

"For Whom the Bell Tolls"

Sorry... I'm more a Steinbeck kinda guy ;)

Look up "pareidolia". A very interesting subject.

"Seeing faces in everyday objects". It is indeed an interesting subject, Bill1. The thing that strikes me, though, is how so many of the articles portray pareidolia almost as a "disorder" of some sort, but then they include photos of various objects (coconuts, rock formations, etc.) as examples, obviously expecting the average reader to see the "face" in each photo! So, I guess I don't get why seeing a "face" in a random array of things is thought to be so unusual. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go check on Mr. Lincoln... :eek:

It looks like those ink blots they keep showing me.

Top Bottom