So much for needing the most expensive uke! How fun!

ghostrdr

Reaction score
YouTube suggested this for me.

So glad it did. They can really jam! I wonder what Guns n Roses would think.

It’s so much fun! Love those ukes! Would love to get either. Just proves that recycled comment on here. “Bet those players like Corey or Kalei at HMS could make any entry level instrument sound amazing”.

Maybe I should go practice more...

YouTube suggested this for me.

So glad it did. They can really jam! I wonder what Guns n Roses would think.

It’s so much fun! Love those ukes! Would love to get either. Just proves that recycled comment on here. “Bet those players like Corey or Kalei at HMS could make any entry level instrument sound amazing”.

Maybe I should go practice more...

Thanks for that.

First of all I love this duo and have seen many of their videos. She has a great voice and it really carries the performance, I'm a huge fan. They are both extremely talented players. Those lead lines and riffs were sick.But those ukes do not actually sound like that in the raw. If you listen closely there is some very good post recording editing and EQing done.

This is always the problem with recorded sound. It can sound way worse then the actual uke or much better. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but this is fact and why HMS states on their videos it is non edited sound. They give a true representation of how the ukulele actually sounds.

That being said I love the fun these two bring to the ukulele and it is a joy to listen to.

Last edited:
First of all I love this duo and have seen many of their videos. She has a great voice and it really carries the performance, I'm a huge fan. They are both extremely talented players. Those lead lines and riffs were sick.But those ukes do not actually sound like that in the raw. If you listen closely there is some very good post recording editing and EQing done.

This is always the problem with recorded sound. It can sound way worse then the actual uke or much better. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer but this is fact and why HMS states on their videos it is non edited sound. They give a true representation of how the ukulele actually sounds.
What Dave said.. if you want I play and hear in person the dynamics are different. If you are going to post process and color then the dynamics are different.

What Dave said.. if you want I play and hear in person the dynamics are different. If you are going to post process and color then the dynamics are different.

I don't know anything about post-processing or non-edited sound. I'm sure you're both right and that there is a difference. However, I would wager that even "raw" they sound pretty darn good. That was just a lot of fun. The fingerpicking was really cool. I've probably watched the video another half dozen times since I uploaded here. Have a great weekend everyone.

Fun video. The processing is irrelevant for enjoyment. Mickey & Spongebob never sounded so good.

I'll have to look up Overdriver vids.

I'm putting together what will hopefully be the final prototype of a tenor I plan to offer soon. I've spent lots of time being picky about sound, intonation, setup, etc. I'll be trying to tell folks why this is the uke they really need. Nonetheless, it's pretty much all about the player. Given something that plays in tune I'd rather listen to a great player play a cheapo uke then listen to a bad player play the very best thing out there. It's also about FUN, and this duo is having FUN. And they are FUN to watch/listen to. I think sometimes we become so wrapped up in uke technocracy that we forget to have FUN! :)

It's also about FUN, and this duo is having FUN. And they are FUN to watch/listen to. I think sometimes we become so wrapped up in uke technocracy that we forget to have FUN! :)

Definitely fun, and that's wonderful. And the ukuleles are fun to look at. :)

Thanks for posting that.

I dunno who those kids are, but they are obviously pros!
They seem to delight in playing the heck out of cheap ukes. Of course, they could be custom built to look like that....
If voices can be enhanced to sound better than they really are, can a ukulele?

Cool video, Ghostrdr, thank you! Your point about not needing a super-expensive instrument is well-taken (although we all understand and appreciate the beauty and elegance of the top-of-the-line models, to be sure). I can vouch for the correctness of your observation, by way of recent experience. I had a little health issue to deal with a few weeks ago, which required some outpatient surgery (doing just fine!), and immediately afterwards someone said, "You should do something nice for yourself." Well... THAT was all I needed to hear, and several days later the postman brought me a Mahalo yellow smiley-face soprano uke, which cost around $50.00. I have to say, with a fresh set of Martin M-600's, and the tuning cranked up one-half step, it actually sounds really sweet, has a decent medium action, and intonates very accurately-- but the interesting thing is that it's just so FUN to pick up and play, and suddenly it's the one that I reach for when I want to get some play time in.

That was awesome! This is one of my fav's...

I dunno who those kids are, but they are obviously pros!
They seem to delight in playing the heck out of cheap ukes. Of course, they could be custom built to look like that....
If voices can be enhanced to sound better than they really are, can a ukulele?

Hah. I actually ran a few google searches and those are like $20 ukes. Maybe they are masters of set ups to make them sound like that. I may have to buy that sponge bob pineapple one. I think it’s on eBay but the shipping is probably a deal breaker.

Cool video, Ghostrdr, thank you! Your point about not needing a super-expensive instrument is well-taken (although we all understand and appreciate the beauty and elegance of the top-of-the-line models, to be sure). I can vouch for the correctness of your observation, by way of recent experience. I had a little health issue to deal with a few weeks ago, which required some outpatient surgery (doing just fine!), and immediately afterwards someone said, "You should do something nice for yourself." Well... THAT was all I needed to hear, and several days later the postman brought me a Mahalo yellow smiley-face soprano uke, which cost around $50.00. I have to say, with a fresh set of Martin M-600's, and the tuning cranked up one-half step, it actually sounds really sweet, has a decent medium action, and intonates very accurately-- but the interesting thing is that it's just so FUN to pick up and play, and suddenly it's the one that I reach for when I want to get some play time in.

Glad you’re doing better Bill! Awesome to hear. Love the yellow smiley face! I was in the uke store and saw a pineapple flea with the pineapple soundboard. It was so cute I had to buy it too. Does it sound as nice as the Kamaka or Koaloha? No. Do I wipe off the finger oils and put it in a case after I play it? Heck, I didn’t even buy a case or gig bag. So I totally get your, it’s just so darn fun to play.

I think for me, at one point I convinced myself that if I bought a better sounding instrument, I would play better. I think that’s probably only partially correct now. I guess I won’t magically be transformed into Jake type skills... oh well.

Glad you’re doing better Bill! Awesome to hear. Love the yellow smiley face! I was in the uke store and saw a pineapple flea with the pineapple soundboard. It was so cute I had to buy it too. Does it sound as nice as the Kamaka or Koaloha? No. Do I wipe off the finger oils and put it in a case after I play it? Heck, I didn’t even buy a case or gig bag. So I totally get your, it’s just so darn fun to play.

I think for me, at one point I convinced myself that if I bought a better sounding instrument, I would play better. I think that’s probably only partially correct now. I guess I won’t magically be transformed into Jake type skills... oh well.

Thanks Ghostrdr! I too have long realized that my skills have definite limitations, so I just try to do what I am best able to do with the skills I have-- using the uke to accompany myself singing a wide array of songs that I grew up loving, and still love to this day. I really enjoy, first, finding the most comfortable key to do a song in, and then I love to tinker around with the chord voicings and try to come up with a vibe that's fresh and pleasing to the ear, but still stays true to the original tune.

Mahalo for posting this.

I loved seeing Patrick Star, of Sponge Bob Square Pants fame, peeking out from under the guy's arm while he was ripping those solos!

Aw man, now I need a Sponge Bob uke!

Last edited:
Top Bottom