Rolando ukulele banjo experience?

Cliff E

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a soprano ukulele banjo for travel purposes (my tenor ukefied banjo is heavy and unwieldly). I found a couple Rolandos for sale. That's the size and style I'm looking for.

I was wondering if anyone in the UU community has experience with Rolando banjo ukes. If so, what can you tell me about their play and care?

Thanks to insights from some of you on this forum, I dodged a bullet and didn't buy an old Dixie. Just before purchase, I checked to see what UU members had to say about them. Apparently, they can be difficult to deal with.

Also, would anyone suggest another make of a good but not too expensive vintage banjolele?

I'm thinking of getting a soprano ukulele banjo for travel purposes (my tenor ukefied banjo is heavy and unwieldly). I found a couple Rolandos for sale. That's the size and style I'm looking for.

I was wondering if anyone in the UU community has experience with Rolando banjo ukes. If so, what can you tell me about their play and care?

Thanks to insights from some of you on this forum, I dodged a bullet and didn't buy an old Dixie. Just before purchase, I checked to see what UU members had to say about them. Apparently, they can be difficult to deal with.

Also, would anyone suggest another make of a good but not too expensive vintage banjolele?

Hi,
I had a Rolando b/u years ago. Prior to starting to build my own instruments I spent a year or so restoring old instruments and a Rolando was one of them. Very nice little instruments unusual design and construction, because of the way the bodies were made they are prone to joint failure. However if you get a sound one they are pretty neat. Personally I would look for a used Slingerland banjo uke, very well made instrument, and plenty of used ones for sale on ebay.

Thanks so much for the helpful response, Dennis!

That's the sort of information I was after.

All the best,

Cheers.

Cliff

Top Bottom