Season 366 - House of Mouse

RAB11

Reaction score
Evening all, no intro vid just a quick write-up.

This week I'd quite like us to celebrate the songs of Walt Disney Studios. They're songs that will have shaped childhoods no matter when you grew up, and later become the bane of your life when you have kids of your own.

Disney have gone through some great songwriters from the Sherman Brothers, through to Alan Menken and latterly Lin-Manuel Miranda who have created songs that not only provide perfect accompaniment to the film but often stand up on their own as outstanding songs.

There's lots of jazz, loads of the early stuff is filled with music that is perfect for the ukulele but most of all it's all fun.

So get silly and bring me any song from a Disney or Pixar film. Should you spend any time with kids I'd love to see them join in too if possible. I'm sure Nathan and I will bring something at some point this week.

Normal rules apply, don't want to see anything before midnight Hawaii time, and Harry's week still has about 36 hours to run.

If you're of the song writing persuasion yourself, either write me a song in the Disney style (however that manifests in your head) or about a Disney film.

I want to hear ukes. Embellishment is fine of course but let's not forget why we're here.

Have fun!

PLAYLIST

Last edited:
I remember a friends reply when he heard that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars:
I am looking forward to the songs!

No songs in the Disney Star Wars movies this far, dissapointing. But plenty other Disney movies to pick from!

I remember a friends reply when he heard that Disney bought the rights to Star Wars:

No songs in the Disney Star Wars movies this far, dissapointing. But plenty other Disney movies to pick from!

Disney also bought the rights to Ghibli movies... Do they count?

Glad you like it guys! Couple things:

Song limit: 1 per day please. Gives everyone a chance to be heard I think.

Star Wars/Ghibli/Marvel/Fox/whoever else they've bought: gonna say no on this. If the film doesn't start like this it doesn't count:

Star Wars/Ghibli/Marvel/Fox/whoever else they've bought: gonna say no on this. If the film doesn't start like this it doesn't count:

That totally makes sense. Disney owns everything these days, so it would be way too broad if they were all included.

Star Wars/Ghibli/Marvel/Fox/whoever else they've bought: gonna say no on this.

Damn! There goes the song I was about to write to be recorded in a Storm trooper mask with my narrator complaining about how his superior officers keep making the same mistakes, so the outcome for the poor sods in the white armour is always the same! (It does appear that the same plot is recycled every other film. ;) )
"Build another death star!" they said!
As soon as it was announced we knew
We'd all end up dead!

PS Would anyone dare to sing "Thank Heaven for Little Girls" in these paedophile obsessed days? :rolleyes:

Even if it's not for this season I'd love to hear that song some time Berni

What a great title you've come up with there, Ryan! Pause for thought required here as I am not heavily into Disney ... just hoping that we don't all plump for "The Bare Necessities"!

We are motelling it away from home for a few days and for the first time ever since being a ukulele player I forgot to pack a ukulele. I'll bring something when I get back home.

Old Walt was not averse to purloining a good old Russian song and using it in his movies.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious was a cipher used by the KGB to pass secret massages over the radio.
The message was usually in the form of a song and by a clever transposition of the code word
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious the secret message within the song could be decode.
This song was one of the first know instances of a message being hidden in plain sight.
The Germans used similar a technique with their song Lilli Marlene, and the British always
last to the party had Hang out the washing on the Siegfried line, which was so easy to crack
that it was abandoned before it was even taken into use.

lol!!!!!!!!!!! a little while ago i did a homemade song called "druid's blues", inspired by a wonderful instrumental of the same name, that heino did. then the other day i was glancing through my recent vids and mis-read "druid's blues" as "droids blues". i thought, i gotta do THAT song one day! and then this comment!!!!! so last night i figured now was the time...... but now today i see it's not!! well, not for the season anyway - i did just now do the song, before checking the thread this morning - i'm gonna go bung the song on the island!!

One from Mary Poppins, by the great Sherman brothers. If you haven't seen "Saving Mr Banks", where Sherman & Sherman help convince PL Travers that the Disney film is a good idea, I heartily recommend it.

Last edited:
A lot of the 45's I listened to as a kid were my mom's, and this is one I absolutely wore out back then, by famous Mouseketeer Annette Funicello, released on "Disneyland Records". This was actually the B side, but I didn't like the A side song, "How will I know my love". Finally trying it after all these years, and it's not an easy song to pull off at all, so hopefully this entry will be allowed, I don't watch many movies.

The great thing about the Seasons is, that I listen to stuff, I wouldn't listen to on my own.
When you wish upon a Star for example, from Disney's Pinocchio:

I think "The Jungle Book" was the last Disney movie the Shermans wrote any music for. It was the last animated feature Disney did for a long time, I know. Louis Prima's performance was terrific, of course. I based this on the great version The Waybacks recorded on their first album. Stevie Coyle, the group's founding guitarist, still plays this solo a lot. I tried to do it in A, which was waaaaay too high for me, so I transposed down to D. Had some trouble reading my own writing. Oh well.

I figured I’d jump on this one before someone else did it. “Bare Neccessities” was the original “Hakuna Matata”

Top Bottom