Season 366 - House of Mouse

This song's from The Lion King, Written by Tim Rice and Elton John.
I've not seen The Lion King but the wind band I play in do an instrumental version of the song, so I have dots to hand for the melody which was quite useful. I had planned a fancy arrangement but in the end went for simple. Just me and a baritone uke.
The video and photos are from the Harz Mountains in Germany. There's a network of metre gauge railways with superb steam locos to haul the trains. The video is mostly of the line up The Brocken - the highest point in the Harz Mountains. The line is well graded so it's not a rack railway and there's a wide path for walkers along much of the route.

Check out Elton John's recording of the song. It's superb.

The Apple Dumpling Gang was one of the many G-rated family movies that Disney used to make when I was a kid and my whole family would go see them in the theater. Movies like Where the Red Fern Grows, Hot Lead and Cold Feet, The Biscuit Eater, etc. Apple Dumpling Gang starred Don Knotts and Tim Conway as a pair of bumbling would-be outlaws, Bill Bixby as a shady gambler with a heart of gold; Susan Clark as a gruff, tomboyish stage coach driver (with a heart of gold); and was furthermore filled to the brim with familiar character actors such as Harry Morgan (the town's sheriff/barber/justice of the peace/judge), John McGiver (one of the town bigwigs), and Slim Pickens (the leader of a real outlaw gang). Bixby becomes the unwilling guardian of three orphaned children (Celia, Bobby, and Clovis). They have an adventure involving an apparently defunct but actually still viable gold mine that the children had inherited, and there's a real outlaw gang who are the antagonists of the story. Bill Bixby and Susan Clark fall in love, get married, adopt the children and live happily ever after with Don Knotts and Tim Conway as employees on their ranch or whatever. There are recurring jokes wherein Knotts and Conway try to rob Bixby several times and fail miserably but comically every time. I recently got this DVD from Netflix and I can say I still love this movie!

There was a sequel, a TV-movie remake, and even a TV series, but none of them were successful. The original movie is still pure gold!

This song, by James Ford Murphy, accompanied a short of the same name. It was the PIXAR short film that played before the feature “Inside Out”, which is my favorite or second favorite PIXAR film, depending on which day you ask me (The Incredibles is the other).

This one is also, obviously, geologically adjacent, and a fairly accurate depiction of the life (and death) cycle of a mid-ocean plate chain of volcanoes, like Hawaii. If you haven’t seen the short it’s out there on YT. Like anything PIXAR though, you will suddenly discover that wherever you watch it is very dusty.

I remember my sisters and I sitting around our old record player playing this record when we were kids .."The Mary Poppins Soundtrack".it was on high rotation.I think we only had three records in the house.The Shermans wrote some great songs.

Spaghetti, meatballs and true love - "Bella Notte" (1955) from Lady and the Tramp by Sonny Burke and Peggy Lee.

This is the only song from Disney I remember. Nothing from the movies or TV shows stood out for me, except for this. This was when I was young, going into the Tiki Room show with singing animatronic puppets. I hated this song at first, but over time, this was one good thing that came out of all this. I messed up in a few places here and there, just to give you a heads-up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsPR_BhA7wE

Enjoy the video.

Last edited:
Anyone knows Toy Story? I've never seen this movie but I like
You've got a friend in me
nonetheless.

Hi Gang, Here's a quick take for ya Ryan!

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been a bit absent this week. Life is a bit full on. I like hosting so we can keep this thing going but I do have to apologise for not being able to be as hands on as most of you are when it's your turn.

I'm now caught up to Linda's magical video, let me know if I've missed you.

It's been a great week so far. We've got basically the entire Mary Poppins soundtrack, a far bigger collection of originals than I thought I'd get, some absolute favourites of mine and some songs I'd never heard before. Damn near perfect if you ask me.

Tomorrow I might just bring something myself like I've been threatening all week.

Keep em coming folks!

Season 366 - How Far I'll go

Not as good as I was hoping but this is as much time as I have.

This is another of those movies I mentioned yesterday. It starred Jim Dale, who is actually English, not American, in a triple role as Jasper Bloodshy, the old coot who founded the town of Bloodshy; and as Jasper's gunslinger son Wild Billy; and as Wild Billy's twin brother, a Salvation Army missionary named Eli. Darren McGavin plays the town's corrupt mayor. Jasper fakes his own death because he knows the mayor is out to get him so he (the mayor) can take over the town, and Jasper wills the town to both of his sons. Eli is satisfied with the will, but the mayor talks Wild Billy into taking the whole town for himself. So Eli and Wild Billy agree to an extremely dangerous obstacle course race. During the race, Wild Billy and Eli discover that the mayor had planned the whole thing so they would kill each other and he could take over the town, so they solve their differences and team up to expose the mayor for the criminal he is.

Don Knotts plays the town's sheriff (named Denver), and after the mayor is deposed, Denver becomes the new mayor. Jack Elam plays a ne'er-do-well named Rattlesnake who had been Sheriff Denver's mortal enemy, and the new Mayor Denver makes Rattlesnake the new sheriff. Karen Valentine plays Jenny, the town schoolmarm, who falls in love with Eli. There are two orphaned children who had traveled with Eli because he had always taken care of them, so they become the adopted children of Eli and Jenny and everyone lives happily ever after.

I don't remember this movie very well. I need to see it again. My best memory of this movie doesn't have anything to do with the movie itself. The theater we went to--the only one in town at that time--had two screens. The ground floor had the largest auditorium, and then there was an upstairs screen that had maybe half of the seating of the ground floor. The G and PG movies were always downstairs, because they had the bigger audiences. The upstairs was where they usually showed the R-rated movies. When we got there that night, there was a line around the block of people waiting to get in to see Saturday Night Fever, which was showing upstairs. My dad went up to the front of the line and asked if we had to wait in line since we wanted to see Hot Lead and Cold Feet, and the manager said no, everyone who wanted to see it could cut in front, because there were only us and I think two other families, maybe 15 people in all who went in to see it. Everyone else had to wait in line to get into that much smaller upstairs auditorium to see Saturday Night Fever. I'm sure many of them just had to go home and come back some other time. Someone must have badly miscalculated the audience draw of Saturday Night Fever.

This is my son's favorite song from one of his favorite movies. The initial post said Pixar was fair game so I gave it a go. I have one more coming this week if time allows that is most definitely within the rules.

Hi, Ryan, this one's for Nathan! My apologies ... the last time I attempted an Aussie accent, I was informed that it "needed work". It hasn't actually HAD any work, so I must apologise in advance to Brian, John, Jon and Robin ... and, perhaps, you as well, Ryan, because I have a feeling that I've read you grew up in Oz.

For those who have seen my "Tiki Tiki Tiki Room" video, this is a video of that song.

I tried to learn this song once before for a season, where I gave up.

This time I tried to transpose it and simplify a few chords.
Still hard to play 5 chord changes in one bar, so bear with me :)

What a great title you've come up with there, Ryan! Pause for thought required here as I am not heavily into Disney ... just hoping that we don't all plump for "The Bare Necessities"!

A long time ago, I heard a radio interview with someone who talked about what it was like to work at Disneyland. He said when someone is fired (or sacked), they call it "getting the Mouse."

Top Bottom