Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing a B sharp 6

Quote Originally Posted by ripock View Post
    Lastly, I find the stretch on the four-fingered version of this chord very awkward, but good luck with it.
    Good point that.
    Fingering Fm7, I think of Fm chord, but then to be able to press the 7th with the ring finger I must have thumb behind the neck and bend the wrist to the "tuner direction", even with a danger of touching the A string tuner if not being careful. The ukulele head depending of the shape can also get in the way and this is in no way a capo chord with 4 finger hold in the first position. I would not use a capo anyways.

F#m7 is much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarmo_S View Post
    Good point that.
    Fingering Fm7, I think of Fm chord, but then to be able to press the 7th with the ring finger I must have thumb behind the neck and bend the wrist to the "tuner direction", even with a danger of touching the A string tuner if not being careful. The ukulele head depending of the shape can also get in the way and this is in no way a capo chord with 4 finger hold in the first position. I would not use a capo anyways.

F#m7 is much easier.
    This is fairly eerie because I have a ukulele journal I keep and I was just mentioning both the problem I have with playing around the nut and with the Fm chord. I have been practicing both as well. I tried your ring finger trick and it was doable, but the Fm7 still is easier for me as a barre. However I see the benefit of your version because in a blues progression I like to play, the first four bars are: Fm, Bbm7, Fm, Fm7. In that case it is easier to just alter the ring finger to transition from Fm to Fm7. In my accustomed manner, I would have to completely change my fingering to go from a Fm to a Fm7 barre chord.

In my classical guitar turned into a long scale linear baritone after removing 6th and 5th strings, I cant't finger 1313 with 4 fingers, unless some extreme stretch that would most times fail. The scale is 655mm (almost 26 inches). Only the barre fingering works. Even 1013 is a stretch but works. My fingers are too short for many advanced classical guitar chord holds.

Capo on 5th fret, so then it is GCEA, the scale is 19.5 inches. Then I can finger the Fm7 with 4 fingers easy. So my fingers probably will work fine also with baritone scale too

Full scale classical guitar feels like holding a furniture after playing ukes mostly lately. I played classical guitar music for so many years, but I was always aware of my physical limitations in that.

I have now practiced the 4 finger hold with my concert, and I see like you said both advantages and disadvantages.
    Last edited by Jarmo_S; 03-24-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Haha, a similar thought crossed my mind yesterday when I was practicing on my 7-string Kremona classical! After a minute or two my brain adjusted and it didn't matter. But it's nice having so many choices of instruments and scale lengths to play with.

Thread Information