Mahogany soprano choices??

I don’t play soprano; although my first ukulele was a KoAloha soprano. “If” I were to buy a mahogany soprano, it would be a Timms, “if” I could find one. I realize a Ken Timms is out of your price range, but how does a Rob Collins compare? ...if that is a sound you want. If it is a favorable comparison, it would probably be be worth the wait. 4-6 months is not that long, especially if you end up with a lifetime ukulele.

John

I agree. I'd be mighty tempted to hold out a little while for a Timms. You might wanna see Barry Maz's review of it on Got A Ukulele. It made him smile.

You might want to consider a Fred Shields custom.

I’ve seen the Timms auctions and they are upwards of $1000 or more. To be honest I don’t like to buy used. Call it a quirk. I like to make my own memories even if it means spending a bit more on a new instrument. So far I’ve narrowed it down to the Martin S1. Still have to try one though first. A Rob Collins build but it has to be Khaya w/ pau ferro fretboard to be CITES compliant. And Wunderkammer. Although I’m sure that will fall under CITES rules also. If my budget some how allows for a few hundred more then I’d consider a new Kiwaya. I have an Ohana but I really wanted a step up from there.

I agree. I'd be mighty tempted to hold out a little while for a Timms. You might wanna see Barry Maz's review of it on Got A Ukulele. It made him smile.

I remember reading that review on Ken's sopranos.
That's actually how I first found out about them.
However, at the time that review was posted Barry mentioned that he got his directly from Tim for about $420
It was only later that I realized that I couldn't buy one directly from him, and had to bid for one. Which recent bidding prices seems to be around $600+ - $700+.
I still really want to get my hands on one some day.

I’ve seen the Timms auctions and they are upwards of $1000 or more. To be honest I don’t like to buy used. Call it a quirk. I like to make my own memories even if it means spending a bit more on a new instrument. So far I’ve narrowed it down to the Martin S1. Still have to try one though first. A Rob Collins build but it has to be Khaya w/ pau ferro fretboard to be CITES compliant. And Wunderkammer. Although I’m sure that will fall under CITES rules also. If my budget some how allows for a few hundred more then I’d consider a new Kiwaya. I have an Ohana but I really wanted a step up from there.

Have you considered Loprinzi? It looks as though Spruce Tree music has a mahogany soprano Loprinzi in stock. I hear a lot of good things about them.

...So far I’ve narrowed it down to the Martin S1. Still have to try one though first. A Rob Collins build but it has to be Khaya w/ pau ferro fretboard to be CITES compliant. And Wunderkammer. Although I’m sure that will fall under CITES rules also. If my budget some how allows for a few hundred more then I’d consider a new Kiwaya. I have an Ohana but I really wanted a step up from there.

Make sure to look at https://www.gotaukulele.com and hear sound clips and read reviews. That would give you a good start. See what looks and sounds good to you. You certainly can't go wrong with any of them, although I would probably put the Kiwaya over the Martin. Good luck and out us know what you decide.

Top Bottom