A KoAloha tuner question

You are welcome! I hope that might be at least somewhat helpful! And having said all that, I honestly have a preference for geared tuners, mouse-ears and all !!

Although I never thought about it, I agree with Bill. I too don't understand the loathe of friction tuners. I started with them and I continue with them. In fact I switched clunky geared to friction on my Kala soprano travel. If the tuners are good they will stay in pitch for a long time. I am so used to friction tuners I find it a pain on my geared Mainland concert because I micro tune out of habit and it doesn't work the same with gear tuners. You need a light sensitive touch. That is true for many things in life , and especially making music. On soprano and concert instruments friction tuners work so much better for balance. Any newbies pondering this conundrum, I suggest to learn to get used to friction tuners. I love them!

And of course here you will find many opinions to keep you confused.

To the OP... you are only having an issue with the C string. Do you have issues with the other three strings using the friction tuners? That gives you and idea of whether to consider changing since the issue is not likely to be with the friction tuners, but with the string hanging up on the nut. I like the friction tuners on my two Koaloha ukes (one soprano, one concert) and would not want to modify them nor spend the $60 or more (labor) to change them out.

I was thinking of this thread while tuning my only uke with Gotoh UPTs. I'd turn it a scoach, too sharp...turn it back a hair, too flat... turn it back, it's sharp....
I understand this might be an indication the nut slots need a little attention, but them UPTs were being a bigger PITA than the friction tuners on any of the 8 or so ukes I own that have them... even the cheap plastic friction tuners that came on my 2005 Kolohe concert... even the original tuners on my 1940s Martin concert.
I like 'em.

Friction tuners deserve respect. I've been restoring to playing condition very vintage Martin Sopranos for the last few years. I now have an appreciation for really old (hundreds of years) school wooden pegs. If installed right, they work well and I can tell the difference in the weight of the head as I don't use a strap. Though I can see that having arthritis or weak fingers would make it necessary to go to a geared tuner.

Thanks for letting me know. Did you do it yourself?

Yes. I did them all myself. 2 KoAlohas, and 3 other Ukes, 5 total so far. The first one was nerve wrecking. I went really slowly and carefully when reamer the holes. It took me over an hour to ream 4 holes the first time. The subsequent ones were much easier once I wasn't nervous. Average about 20 min to install each set. I even got to sell the factory KoAloha tuners to partially recover the costs of the Gotoh UPTs.

To the OP... you are only having an issue with the C string. Do you have issues with the other three strings using the friction tuners? That gives you and idea of whether to consider changing since the issue is not likely to be with the friction tuners, but with the string hanging up on the nut. I like the friction tuners on my two Koaloha ukes (one soprano, one concert) and would not want to modify them nor spend the $60 or more (labor) to change them out.

I am learning to work these friction tuners using the 1 step back and 2 steps forward approach. Not as easy as the geared tuners, but it’s doable for now. I just don’t want to make a rash decision and hey, patience and practice build character, right?

You might try lubricating the nut. Pop the C string out of the nut slot and mark the inside of the nut slot with a pencil.
The graphite from the pencil will allow the string to slide through the slot a little easier.

What can happen is the string "catches" on the nut, so you add a little extra tension, and then it moves, making it sharp.

This was incredibly sound advice. This has absolutely improved my ability to tune the uke. It amazing that such a simple trick can help close the gap between friction and geared tuners. Thanks so much!

Yes. I did them all myself. 2 KoAlohas, and 3 other Ukes, 5 total so far. The first one was nerve wrecking. I went really slowly and carefully when reamer the holes. It took me over an hour to ream 4 holes the first time. The subsequent ones were much easier once I wasn't nervous. Average about 20 min to install each set. I even got to sell the factory KoAloha tuners to partially recover the costs of the Gotoh UPTs.

Nice. Between pencil graphite in the nut and taking a 1 back and 2 forward tuning approach, I will try to get used to these tuners. If I lose patience, I may have to look into purchasing a reamer (just learned what that is)!

Nice. Between pencil graphite in the nut and taking a 1 back and 2 forward tuning approach, I will try to get used to these tuners. If I lose patience, I may have to look into purchasing a reamer (just learned what that is)!

How much is a decent reamer? I'm having my Gotoh tuners installed by a pro for $30 and I have the satisfaction of knowing that the person doing the work is qualified and careful. Unlike me! :rolleyes:

How much is a decent reamer? I'm having my Gotoh tuners installed by a pro for $30 and I have the satisfaction of knowing that the person doing the work is qualified and careful. Unlike me! :rolleyes:

$30 for an install is great. My local shop is offering to do the job for $60. After watching how to do the install (Joel from theukulelesite) it seems it’s not too complicated so long as one takes it slow. As for reamers, Amazon is selling a set for under $20. Not bad!

I was thinking of this thread while tuning my only uke with Gotoh UPTs. I'd turn it a scoach, too sharp...turn it back a hair, too flat... turn it back, it's sharp....
I understand this might be an indication the nut slots need a little attention, but them UPTs were being a bigger PITA than the friction tuners on any of the 8 or so ukes I own that have them... even the cheap plastic friction tuners that came on my 2005 Kolohe concert... even the original tuners on my 1940s Martin concert.

Are you saying that your UPT tuners react faster to turning than friction tuners? Technically, this is not possible. With their 4:1 ratio, they turn four times slower than friction tuners (but four times faster than regular geared tuners which usually have a ratio of around 1:16, which makes fine tuning a lot easier than with both friction and planetary tuners). Perhaps you are applying the same amount of "force" you are used from friction tuners, thereby causing them to overreact?

$30 for an install is great. My local shop is offering to do the job for $60. After watching how to do the install (Joel from theukulelesite) it seems it’s not too complicated so long as one takes it slow. As for reamers, Amazon is selling a set for under $20. Not bad!
California prices vs South-Central Pennsylvania! We may have crappy weather but at least we have cheap ukulele technicians.

Are you saying that your UPT tuners react faster to turning than friction tuners? Technically, this is not possible. With their 4:1 ratio, they turn four times slower than friction tuners (but four times faster than regular geared tuners which usually have a ratio of around 1:16, which makes fine tuning a lot easier than with both friction and planetary tuners). Perhaps you are applying the same amount of "force" you are used from friction tuners, thereby causing them to overreact?

As I mentioned, I think the strings might have been hanging up in the nut. I don't play that uke much at all... but next time, if I have the same problem, I'll lay a little graphite in the nut slots.

My main point is that I have lots of ukes with friction tuners and they very rarely give me any problems at all. Tuning is a cinch. Every once in a while I'll adjust a screw... but all in all, I like them.

The only uke I own that I'd consider changing the tuners out is my Kanilea Islander MST-4. The sealed geared tuners on that are garbage.

Last edited:
I've got UPTs on my KoAloha, and while they work great, they're a lot chunkier looking than friction tuners and partially regret getting them for that reason. I'd be inclined to sort out if the string is binding at the nut before going to UPTs. But then mine's a soprano so the size difference between friction and UPT is more pronounced. I think on a less pretty uke I wouldn't be as bothered by the aesthetics.

Stewart-MacDonald has a peghole reamer for $143.13. I bet it's really, really good. : )
https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Reamers/Peghole_Reamers.html

I got this one from Amazon for $7.18.
https://smile.amazon.com/General-To...ywords=reamer&qid=1550920095&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Just returned home with my KoAloha Concert. The Gotoh UPT tuners were installed, a new set of Living Water strings were mounted, and all is right with the world. The tuners feel great...so smooooooth! I have no regrets about swapping these for the old friction tuners.

3V0wJ9q1zsZJhG0xh2TWI62kI8tnHdGpVs5EDvEZlTTu7HSojolf4o-DgyLS3JBxyufn_zCWLaL-AiEhMaOWtOvf2gamj7XLdgdYXeUel917J66TF1vtcNmyGUuSL2cyBBNruK7a2hx9dw5QDcY8vhJSCFTnx46pjD6d7wvHTGzrt9qm0smQDlWsR0aYjerrcNH1bbg_OJKMcwaSCYrKkKHTacOcDzl91iXiutJ4GihhBA4W-3-SxdP9zFLtXf6BaOfW-GF6NnWqLUcdpy2GtqZmScljN46zE2GGB4RDV4-8QzECFQi1Dem2Xj1Ma4Rr5pBbm2dS6xOp1GdxA5cbrXmjIhK_0gmpyiu4gQogBZjBADqMDpLDbJQlewiudvX0aulib8nQDOa8tX8_N_NwEobz414RcWyUazmyVWVPrwQFoB4mG4SqY4RGubpkAXfjz12-14rOXVeBHSUT6XNTxlJVA98B_wHbou80498wMmNpyOOXwgCy346Xr_476usEcKEHNjmLWdnpBVXCIGh19dYwWtVj3omnAcKP_3Ld2hB-MZihpOQZlc2t0Y7miOoJVVhKsA7nVAlbY7eDGauObv2brW4kk_xlLHWW0thGJkW3bCmCymHf0Hag3NNAaS_56DwV9kSjA6NC85z5XzLR4UtTbZiDRtA=w604-h1006-no

XvPc0n0U4wkqVfCG2RZrQ0h-Hg1h7OKs0lCQPkqTfsg2HlGrHtfhylE1r6PWJsFbn6hyHWoZ4DSRaf3ttjfrmQ3ywVRoFCqjRQddlJyV7KDzRlALEhPV4vHI75TWN5w2QX7RmDUDlrJ9VYUOb78e8B-Hj3t2fhyCUU_8JjzoCXDkqY2QVZcuqiwQt2siBedlugvNr3Wi9aliO_w012gS-Ic4gsSHBA5xNAZjQp3bSIElzGxcJ-a809EqC7bYaH_HOHzTDbNG5v0k9Z-SoRBKXlI2wFdaFT6pXCb1Er-e7Bw9r0ZERvbmbygt7WyOoHDR6yajVUAkKudQCuCtfttbWRN31RUQLoFLCVcZu72f6lnhMpYy1bgUEoT64vF-hmtkU1LG62l-XcBUQJQwV4jEWoNmLZH0uW_278TcNgcVfuZo8Cdbt_ZjMuxWNKG0qAqeQeJZ9Ik7OVuRr9JccjdIxPZog3QqfcYwB7szMXaVxTluE_ODrDi8qokIhDelMbmwlwsHpTTmlMSq7J_vmAto6ck4_2w8bG-dQ5M0nDm7e58v8-GQpcUl8yM8Yr_DIOLllIGrYYMIakRjlOAqo4yGn7OH-MQOR25UE6hFLERcN07x58UAi7Jkcptsf1CogLrRqvFiEoABeYHwe47kiBK1xrjSWNyLXIQ=w790-h1006-no

Top Bottom