This Masquerade

Very nice job. I always liked that tune and was a fan of Benson's.

Yeah, he had done some singing on other albums, but being more jazz oriented, he flew under the radar. This tune and the album catapulted him into being a household name. I often thought there were similarities in his path and that of Nat King Cole. Both were terrific players who became more widely known as vocal artists.

Just lovely again Laurence.........Do you play jazz guitar? And if you do do you use a pick. You seem to like the big thumb artists. Benson and Montgomery with their beautiful articulation and sense of timing.
I do love what you do with that thumb pick!
Mike

Last edited:
Very nice job. I always liked that tune and was a fan of Benson's.

Yeah, he had done some singing on other albums, but being more jazz oriented, he flew under the radar. This tune and the album catapulted him into being a household name. I often thought there were similarities in his path and that of Nat King Cole. Both were terrific players who became more widely known as vocal artists.

Thanks! yes, I was thinking of the parallel with Nat King Cole. Also, in other genres, Glenn Campbell and Vince Gill who started out as session guitarists.

VERY nice Laurence.
Once again the great players on here have intimidated me. lol
Keep 'em coming please mate!

Just lovely again Laurence.........Do you play jazz guitar? And if you do do you use a pick. You seem to like the big thumb artists. Benson and Montgomery with their beautiful articulation and sense of timing.
I do love what you do with that thumb pick!
Mike

Thanks Mike, I spent most of my pro career playing stratocaster in a hybrid (flatpick + fingers) style. I dabbled in jazz, but in a self taught, trial and error kind of way. When I first took up uke I couldn't balance out the fleshy sound of my thumb with my fingernails, so the thumb pick was a solution to that problem. Our personal style seems to be a product of our limitations as much as anything

VERY nice Laurence.
Once again the great players on here have intimidated me. lol
Keep 'em coming please mate!

Don't worry Dave, I can get intimidated by some of the great players on here too! But then I get over it and enjoy the music - thank goodness there are players better than me around!

Thanks Mike, I spent most of my pro career playing stratocaster in a hybrid (flatpick + fingers) style. I dabbled in jazz, but in a self taught, trial and error kind of way. When I first took up uke I couldn't balance out the fleshy sound of my thumb with my fingernails, so the thumb pick was a solution to that problem. Our personal style seems to be a product of our limitations as much as anything

I think we all want to sound like somebody else! I use thumb picks and finger picks on steel guitar and dobro type guitars, so well used to using them. As soon as I try them on the ukulele I almost put them down straight away. The bare thumb always sounds more balanced to me. You are right about our personal styles developing our own way of playing. I think in a positive way though!
Mike

This is wonderful Laurence. This one of the songs that I like but did not know the name. Thank you.

Thanks Joseph! This song was apparently inspired by a divorce, but at least Leon Russell got a song out of it...

Man, that was SO good! Loved it! : )

Thanks John, it was a pleasure to play - I like that kind of feel, even though it can be hard to pull off sometimes.

Laurence the thumb pick king !
One of my favourite songs from the 70’s !
You can make any song sound good on a uke.

Hey thanks Brenda! the 70's is about as contemporary as I get :) were you even around back then?

Top Bottom