WTB: Pono UL4 “steel string baritone”

I just picked up a spruce/rosewood one and love it! I had been looking for quite a while. Finally an excellent condition used one came up for sale in Mandolin Cafe forum’s classifieds for 1/2 the price of new. If you’re patient, they can be found occasionally.

I love everything about mine. What makes you think that these aren't made anymore? I assume they are just hard to keep in stock.

I'm also looking to purchase a UL4 steel string if anyone has one they're thinking about selling or knows where one can be found. In Feb 2019, HMS had two in stock (ebony/spruce & mango) and they both sold. According to HMS support, Pono UL4 steel strings are still being produced, and they "think" they should be getting more in stock this spring, but they don't know the exact date/models at this time.

If anyone is thinking about selling theirs, please let me know! My preference is for a spruce or cedar top, but I'm not opposed to mahogany or koa, either.

Thanks all
PP

Last edited:
That’s a nice ukulele! I’d love to own one, but I heard that a few people are just buying tenor guitars and converting them into steal string baritones.

I saw one of these Pono Baritones on Mandolin Café website wanted to trade and said the trade value was $550.00

That’s a nice ukulele! I’d love to own one, but I heard that a few people are just buying tenor guitars and converting them into steal string baritones.

Yes, with the right strings, you can tune any tenor guitar to DGBE. That's how I have my Blueridge tenor guitar tuned. Keep in mind however, that most tenor guitars have very narrow nuts and longer necks, so they might not be comfortable for everyone.

- FiL

Top Bottom