D tuning

Swamp Yankee

Reaction score
Is leaving a soprano in D tuning (hi A) safe with Martin 600s? Or do I need to get strings optimized for the higher tuning?.If new strings are best, any fluorocarbon suggestions?

Soprano used to be in D tuning until things were standardised, so I doubt there'll be any problems.

I like Living Water fluorocarbon strings.

You'll be fine tuning your flouros up - lots of fluoro brands have the same strings for soprano and concert so you know the extra tension will be fine.

I'm with Bill here, though. I use flouros on all of my ukes except my D tuned soprano - much prefer nylon strings for that. As nylon is usually lower tension you get to keep the mellow soprano string tension with the higher tuning.

Thanks for your input, folks! I just got a Koa Kiwaya soprano that sounds magical in D with the Martins I put on it. I'll seek out nylon strings for D tuning and try them out as well.

I like the D'addario EJ65S. I was going to post a link for you but the forum is blocking that as spam so I can't!

To reduce tension, you could try Worth CL (clear light) or BL (brown light) strings. You might also ask Ken Middleton (of Living Water) which gauges he recommends for D tuning; he may be able to make up custom sets.

Cool! Thanks for the tip.

When I get the courage, I'll put a set of gut strings on a 100 year old Martin then tun it to D just to hear some old ragtime. If the bridge pops off or a slot blows out, I can fix that. If a string breaks, its the end of that trial.

Top Bottom