Aquila Sugar strings? And now testing better version... what to do?

mimmo

Reaction score
Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)
Aquila Sugar strings? I am testing a better version... what to do?

Hi guys,
I have a question:
In order to reduce the problem of squeack (and to have the performance similar to the fluorcarbon strings) ther Sugar set is made, from the begginning, not with pure Sugar polymer but with a blend between Nylgut and Sugar.
Using this blend the squeack is under better control while the sound is around the typical fluorcarbon performance.

Well, recently I have done some further tests using pure Sugar polymer of the very recent generation (I call it 2.0, while for the Sugar uke set I employ 1.0 generation: the sound is exactly the same): the squeack of the 2.0 sugar seems to be less than those of the 1.0.

But the performances are superb (I wonder: maybe too much?), far over the ufficial Sugar set so.. what to do??

Well, guys, I would like to knows if there are there a few of volunteers available -that already well knows our Sugar set- that can test for me the pure Sugar strings.

At the same time I would like to know if the squeack problem is similar to those of the standard Sugar set or more (normally after a week or so on it goes away or/and using a bit of hand lotion).

You can reach me there:
aquila@aquilacorde.com

Please remember: your complete address plus a phone

The sets available are only these ones: high G sets for soprano, concerto, tenor.
No any low G version, no baritone, no 6 strings tenors.

Thanks a lot!
Mimmo

Last edited:
I'm interested! Email sent.

Email sent!

I really like the overall sound of the 1.0 version, but the squeaking really did drive me crazy at first!

I am always impressed with the research and product testing that Mimmo does. Amazing that he keeps rolling out new products

Ah ah, I am not Supermimmo, dude.
yes, I spend a lot of energy on these things because i love music as well as research.
But, at the end of the job, I am a lot tired, so I have a few of spare time for my uke (and you cannot immage which kind of strings I have installed on....).
In the extruder room there are 40 to 50 celsius degree and noise.
So good to have you, guys ,that always help me to test all these crazy things that come out from my head. Ja.
For the sake of music....:D
Mimmo

Just wanted to let you know that all of your work is noticed and appreciated!

Last edited:
Just wanted to let you know that all of your wok is noticed and appreciated!
+1
I appreciate the personal touch with great accessibility..
not relevant here but the baritone GCEA on my super tenor 18 by Ono are a great fit.
i was struggling with getting string tension even and on the lower side for a high G C tuning..

Thank you for the testing offer, but I will have to decline as all my ukes are perfectly strung at the moment. For my 6-string Kamaka I just installed the Aquila 17U set and I just love how the red string blends in perfectly. For my upcoming luthier built concert uke I have asked the Aquila 31U set to be installed, and I am disappointed that for the fifths tuning it is only available with wound and not with red strings. The low G sets would be better if they had a red instead of wound strings for improved tonal balance.

Dear Mimmo, Your research is appreciated. And I love unwound, and your reds (the improved batch) work a treat on my Baritone. However there is a problem, in that the dealers end up with batches that are old, and maybe have not sold. To the members on the forum, who want to buy, they do not know which batches are improved, nor do they know which batches the dealers are selling (it could be old it could be new). Is there an exchange programme between manufacturer and Dealers. For example, "send me your old strings, and we'll replace them with the same but upgraded ones.

This is a big problem, fromthee2me. We always replace the old version with the new one and same with our owwn stock but this happens with our big distributors such as Kala, Warwich, Cordoba, Sutherland etc. But then they distribuite our strings to their minor distributors and then these one to stores. It is not posssible to control all these things. However on the label there is a white sticker with the date: we normally inform when the new upgraded version is made. So the buyer can check directly. Fortunately most of people are not in Ukulele undeground and are just begginners so they a big help to finish the old stock in fast way.
By the way: I have done the test with a soprano in fifths and unwound low g: it work very well. One can replace the wound string with a single soprano low G (based on Sugar since 1 year)

Mimmo

Last edited:
Perhaps a sticker of some sort on the packaging to indicate that it is new.

email sent. Actually I sent 2 because I forgot to include my phone number in the first one. Sorry about that

I just got mine Friday evening, but didn't have time to string them up until mid-day yesterday. I don't want to say too much until I have spent some more time with them, but I will share a few initial thoughts.

They still have that same incredible look that the original Sugar's did; they look like liquid glass. Tuning-wise, they settle in pretty quickly. With some strings you have to re-tune mid-song for days but these were holding tuning pretty well after about an hour or two. They are still settling in so you would have to re-tune if you waited long enough but it wasn't like they were flatting in between playing two different measures of a song. They still have excellent balance, sustain, and volume.

They do still squeak. I know I can reduce it with some hand lotion, but I am trying to avoid that. I want to see what the experience would be like if no one had told me about that fix and see how the squeak diminishes on its own.

And like I said, I want to send some more time with them. I've heard that they actually sound better overall after a few days settling into proper tension and it has only be a little less than 24 hours at this point.

Top Bottom