Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Aquila Sugar strings? And now testing better version... what to do?

Sounds good Mimmo,
    This is my very first use of the sugars, the initial reports of just how good they were really caught my attention. I have to admit i was very dubious about getting a set based on the "squeaky comments" but thought i would give them a try. Had them on for a few days now and WOW i am impressed with the Punch, volume, sustain, clarity and overall balance of these strings, (thnk i may be hooked on these for a while). As Hendulele has said, If the new strings changed formula changes the tonal qualities then please keep the old formula. I will definitely be getting more. These strings are great and after a good talc dusting and about 8/10 hours of playing i have no problem with Squeak and the pure clean sound of these strings is now shining through.. VERY HAPPY ...Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Byham View Post
    Sounds good Mimmo,
    This is my very first use of the sugars, the initial reports of just how good they were really caught my attention. I have to admit i was very dubious about getting a set based on the "squeaky comments" but thought i would give them a try. Had them on for a few days now and WOW i am impressed with the Punch, volume, sustain, clarity and overall balance of these strings, (thnk i may be hooked on these for a while). As Hendulele has said, If the new strings changed formula changes the tonal qualities then please keep the old formula. I will definitely be getting more. These strings are great and after a good talc dusting and about 8/10 hours of playing i have no problem with Squeak and the pure clean sound of these strings is now shining through.. VERY HAPPY ...Thanks.
    Banjo Byham makes a good point as well.

Keep the formula is there is much of a change ... perhaps call it the "Sugar Line: Regular and Squeakless" ... they have become my favourite string.

I also like the tension and gurth of the string ... adding to Banjo's comments.

I would also like to mention that just running the string through my fingers which have a bit of natural oil on them helps a lot as well.
    How bad is your UAS?

Thought i would make a final comment on the Sugars and give an update on how i find the strings. OVER 30 HOURS WITH THESE STRINGS AND NOW NO SQUEAK.
    Obviously, its not all about how good the instrument is ......Bad Strings can Mask what would otherwise be a quality sound from a good instrument.
    What i expect from a good string set up :-
    How they sound =Power, Punch, projection, crispness, clarity, sustain, resonance,
    How they play, (Playability) = Flexibility, Firmness, Barring, consistency, balance, Uniformity, (can all strings can be heard when strummed), do all strings shine through.
    How they Feel, (touch) = smoothness, do they allow the fingers to run along the strings without feeling too unpleasant. Do they add to my playing experience. Do they make me want to continually pick the instrument up and keep playing it.
    How they stretch and bed in. Do they hold a tuning.
    How they look (Appearance) = Do they look good Do they enhance the appearance of my Instrument.
    How they wear = How long do they last before needing replacement.
    I can say without doubt, after 8/9 days these strings DEFINITELY tick all the above box's for me. There are strings that i have not tried (but i have tried many) and i have no doubt that for my style, these shine above all others. NO SQUEAK. I will be buying a few sets very soon to try on other ukes.

Thread Information