Aquila Sugar strings? And now testing better version... what to do?

Hi, i am brand new to this forum but have been involved with stringed instruments for over 30 years. I trust this thread is still active. This may be of use to some of you? My experience of squeaky strings has always been to rub a very little talcum powder on my fingers and rub it into /onto the strings. The squeak may come back but after a few applications and the strings "bed in" it seems to eventually eliminate the problem. Talc also seems to allow me to be more consistent with my finger picking technique. Maybe this has been tried or is a technique not recommended but i prefer it and it continues to work for me. Trust this might be of some help and would be nice to hear is anyone else has tried it.

Welcome Banjo,

This is a great suggestion.

I love the sound of the strings, the girth and resonance. I will give this a go and let you know.

Cheers.

Hi Sam, my experience over the years has been one where i avoid anything that causes moisture. Anything wet will only increase string squeak and is short lived.For my style of play, I personally love the Aquila reds but sadly they do seem very prone to breakage, (that said i have had a set on my Acacia Kala for about 4 months which is played a minimum of 2 hours a day, and no problem) but i do have some Sugars and at some point will fit them on to one of my Ukes.

Hi Sam, my experience over the years has been one where i avoid anything that causes moisture. Anything wet will only increase string squeak and is short lived.For my style of play, I personally love the Aquila reds but sadly they do seem very prone to breakage, (that said i have had a set on my Acacia Kala for about 4 months which is played a minimum of 2 hours a day, and no problem) but i do have some Sugars and at some point will fit them on to one of my Ukes.

Hi Banjo,

Thanks for the comment.

I am big Oasis and Clears fan ... so the sugar offer a similar playing experience, and tone.

I am going to give your idea a try.

Hi Banjo,

Thanks for your comment.

I am a big Fluoro Carbon fan ... so I was quite happy with the Sugars - minus the squeak.

I will try your suggestions.

Cheers.

Aquila Sugar 155u Low G (wound) “SQUEAK TEST”
I have today re strung my Kala Solid Acacia Tenor with the intention of test driving the Sugars.
The strings have a dated label 11/2018
I thought i would share my findings.
The strings are well labelled and clearly marked for identification. I would have preferred a non wound low G but that can be rectified later. (that said i find the supplied low G quite acceptable).
String diameter has a pleasant solid feel but the strings are surprisingly very pliable.
Very obvious is the tonal quality (almost bell / chime like). Although the gauge of these strings seems initially heavy, they barre chords across the entire fretboard seemed quite effortless.
Also very noticeable is the clarity and sustain up past the 10th, Its clean and clear.
Overall i find these strings very well balanced although the C string lacks a little tone and sustain, but perhaps it will shine through as the strings bed in.
Overall sustain is excellent.
I find playing a joy with these strings and the harmonics are great. Bending the strings seems quite effortless.
Blues sound good as does classical stuff (but that’s just me).
Now the dreaded “squeak”. Surprisingly i had little squeak but it was none the less present so i dosed the strings with a very light dusting (applied on the finger tips to the strings) of talc powder and eliminated the squeak. Maybe itll come back but a drop more talc i think will cure it in the long run.
Gave the strings a test for about 2 hours and they are bedding in nicely and still no squeak. I do expect the sound to improve over the next few days but at the moment i am very pleased with these strings. I think they would enhance the playability and sound qualities of any Uke.
I appreciate that there are those who have their favourite brand and preferences but i thought this might be a follow up to the Squeak references of this brand and might just help others with this issue. Perhaps a small sachet of talc with each set might do the trick...LOL..

The last time I commented was back the first part of April. I forgot all about it. I've been playing the same set of sugars all summer and fall. I still like them. The squeaking went away at some time or another, but it was never loud or distinct enough to be an issue. I had to really listen to hear it and now I can't even hear it when I listen for it. So just an update. I think I'll put another set on when I replace them.

hello guys,
Mimmo of aquila here...
Right now I am waiting a new version of Sugar bio plastic that should have no problem of squeack. I tell 'should' because no one knows in advance things. I will inform you when I will received the pastica bag with the pellet and then I will extrudate the monofilament.
In the meantime talg or had lotion is the best solution.
Mimmo Italy

Thanks for the update Mimmo. I am looking forward to hearing about the progress!

Thank you, Mimmo.

I've had the same set of Sugar strings on a soprano for months and once the squeak disappeared, they have been great players. The sound is warm and punchy. That doesn't seem possible, but it's true.

I also have a soprano uke that was supposed to be very bright and loud and wasn't until I put a set of Sugars on it. Now it plays the way I thought it should.

If the new formulation doesn't do what you expect I hope that you keep the old formula around. Because once you have played them a few hours and the squeak disappears, they are great strings.

Mimmo of aquila here...
Right now I am waiting a new version of Sugar bio plastic that should have no problem of squeack.

Mimmo,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if you need testers for your next version. :D

We're looking forward to your next improvement.

All the Best,
Adam

Sounds good Mimmo,
This is my very first use of the sugars, the initial reports of just how good they were really caught my attention. I have to admit i was very dubious about getting a set based on the "squeaky comments" but thought i would give them a try. Had them on for a few days now and WOW i am impressed with the Punch, volume, sustain, clarity and overall balance of these strings, (thnk i may be hooked on these for a while). As Hendulele has said, If the new strings changed formula changes the tonal qualities then please keep the old formula. I will definitely be getting more. These strings are great and after a good talc dusting and about 8/10 hours of playing i have no problem with Squeak and the pure clean sound of these strings is now shining through.. VERY HAPPY ...Thanks.

Sounds good Mimmo,
This is my very first use of the sugars, the initial reports of just how good they were really caught my attention. I have to admit i was very dubious about getting a set based on the "squeaky comments" but thought i would give them a try. Had them on for a few days now and WOW i am impressed with the Punch, volume, sustain, clarity and overall balance of these strings, (thnk i may be hooked on these for a while). As Hendulele has said, If the new strings changed formula changes the tonal qualities then please keep the old formula. I will definitely be getting more. These strings are great and after a good talc dusting and about 8/10 hours of playing i have no problem with Squeak and the pure clean sound of these strings is now shining through.. VERY HAPPY ...Thanks.

Banjo Byham makes a good point as well.

Keep the formula is there is much of a change ... perhaps call it the "Sugar Line: Regular and Squeakless" ... they have become my favourite string.

I also like the tension and gurth of the string ... adding to Banjo's comments.

I would also like to mention that just running the string through my fingers which have a bit of natural oil on them helps a lot as well.

Thought i would make a final comment on the Sugars and give an update on how i find the strings. OVER 30 HOURS WITH THESE STRINGS AND NOW NO SQUEAK.
Obviously, its not all about how good the instrument is ......Bad Strings can Mask what would otherwise be a quality sound from a good instrument.
What i expect from a good string set up :-
How they sound =Power, Punch, projection, crispness, clarity, sustain, resonance,
How they play, (Playability) = Flexibility, Firmness, Barring, consistency, balance, Uniformity, (can all strings can be heard when strummed), do all strings shine through.
How they Feel, (touch) = smoothness, do they allow the fingers to run along the strings without feeling too unpleasant. Do they add to my playing experience. Do they make me want to continually pick the instrument up and keep playing it.
How they stretch and bed in. Do they hold a tuning.
How they look (Appearance) = Do they look good Do they enhance the appearance of my Instrument.
How they wear = How long do they last before needing replacement.
I can say without doubt, after 8/9 days these strings DEFINITELY tick all the above box's for me. There are strings that i have not tried (but i have tried many) and i have no doubt that for my style, these shine above all others. NO SQUEAK. I will be buying a few sets very soon to try on other ukes.

Top Bottom