Strings for a Kala Baritone

A classical guitar has a bigger body than a baritone ukulele. Therefore a classical has *more room* for its G & D strings to sing out loud & deep on their low notes. Ergo, you would want a string set with wound G & D since wound strings generally (not always) sing a bit louder & bassier than unwound strings.

I use Aquila Sugar Ukulele Strings For Baritone Ukulele 156U on my oversized Pono baritone. When tuned "standard" (G tuning) my Pono sounded too much like a guitar so I retuned it up to A tuning. But if you want your Kala to sound somewhat like a guitar, then try the Sugars & tune it "standard".

I agree with Bellgamin, make sure you use a set with wound 4th and 3rd string if you want that classical guitar sound. Another thing is find a set that is on the bright side. Because of the short scale length of a baritone the strings are lower in tension and it can sound muddy or dull. A good set I have liked and used on many baritones is Martin M630 baritone strings. There are a lot of strings out there and you will need to experiment to get the sound you want.

I have Aquilla Lava on my Kala baritone. I think they sound very balanced ( no overpowering d string ) and the tension is lower than the living water set on my Mainland. The. Aquilla are much more guitar like in sound while living waters lean toward uke.

...A good set I have liked and used on many baritones is Martin M630 baritone strings. ...
I never tried the Martin M630's so I thought I would buy a set. However several reviews at Amazon complained the the G & D wound strings began unraveling pretty fast, sometimes within a matter of days. However, those reviews were all a couple of years old. Hopefully, Martin has resolved this issue. Have you tried the 630's lately. If so, are the G & D strings holding up okay?

Last edited:
I went shopping today and could only find Elixir Strings. Acoustic phosphor bronze NANOWEB coating 10/47 extra light. D and G string are wound. I will try strings 1, 2, 3, 4 and see how it goes. I live in Korat, Nakhonratchasima, Thailand. The sales people there, a big mall, never heard of Martin strings. They had no Aquilla stock. I will try Bangkok next trip there or just mail order. I am still interested in the suggestions for Aquilla strings. Many thanks to all for the help.

I never tried the Martin M630's so I thought I would buy a set. However several reviews at Amazon complained the the G & D wound strings began unraveling pretty fast, sometimes within a matter of days. However, those reviews were all a couple of years old. Hopefully, Martin has resolved this issue. Have you tried the 630's lately. If so, are the G & D strings holding up okay?

I love the Martin 630s on my 20" scale baritones. They are so low tension and easy to fret and sound good to me. But yes, the base strings do unravel very quickly. Or, at least, one of them does - I forget if it's the the D or the G, but sometimes it starts within a few days.

I tried the Thomastik-Infelds CF35 and CF30 as recommended by some on here for the D and G, but found them a bit high tension alongside the Martin 630 trebles.

So, I have taken to using the Martin trebles from that set with the wound La Bella 15ST and 14ST bases, which feel (to me) to be more balanced and more like the Martin bases (with the advantage of being polished). This is just what I found works for me. Your mileage may vary of course and they are not especially cheap. I suspect that these things vary from uke to uke and player to player.

Not sure that it makes it sound more like a guitar either, having said all of that.

Last edited:
Not an expert or even close, but I have a Kala baritone strung with these Martin strings and it sounds great.

I agree with Bellgamin, make sure you use a set with wound 4th and 3rd string if you want that classical guitar sound. Another thing is find a set that is on the bright side. Because of the short scale length of a baritone the strings are lower in tension and it can sound muddy or dull. A good set I have liked and used on many baritones is Martin M630 baritone strings. There are a lot of strings out there and you will need to experiment to get the sound you want.

Top Bottom