Testing

I found out something interesting: I was getting the message that I was blacklisted, or whatever the term was, and could not post. I couldn't understand why I was being told that because I had been able to post only an hour earlier. Then it dawned on me that I had turned on my VPN to do some banking and forgot to turn it off. Sure enough, I could post when it was off.

I can only assume that because the site didn't recognize my IP address, it wouldn't allow me to post—even though I had logged in with my user name and password.

Make sure you don't have any apps or software active that changes your IP address. Some browsers, such as Opera, automatically activate a VPN when you use them, unless you uncheck the option.

I can only assume that because the site didn't recognize my IP address

I don't know anything about the backend of this site, but it feels really unlikely that they're worrying about the IP address for a few reasons. The biggest one is that most internet customers don't have a static IP. If you're a residential customer of Comcast, for example, you flat out can't get one.

Now, I suppose that the site or the site's internet provider could be blocking certain actions from certain IPs. But if they were really worried about getting hacked from a specific region of the world, they wouldn't let you browse the site at all.

Without knowing how Jerry's inability to post was manifesting, I'm unwilling to take a guess at what might be happening. But I'm glad he's got the ability to post once again.

I don't know anything about the backend of this site, but it feels really unlikely that they're worrying about the IP address for a few reasons. The biggest one is that most internet customers don't have a static IP. If you're a residential customer of Comcast, for example, you flat out can't get one.

Now, I suppose that the site or the site's internet provider could be blocking certain actions from certain IPs. But if they were really worried about getting hacked from a specific region of the world, they wouldn't let you browse the site at all.

Without knowing how Jerry's inability to post was manifesting, I'm unwilling to take a guess at what might be happening. But I'm glad he's got the ability to post once again.

I'm not an IT guy, so I'm sure you are correct derbyhat. I was guessing at the IP being the culprit. (I should have stated that.) What I do know is that I tried this two more times.

In both instances; after signing in with the VPN on, I was not allowed to start a new post, reply to a post, or send a PM. I logged off. Quit my browser. Turned the VPN off. Booted up my browser. Signed in again and tried to do those same things, I had no trouble at all.

Top Bottom