Kala Waterman Concert Ukulele - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Baz!

It's too bad about the buzzing.

I'd still send it back for a replacement; not for review purposes, but just out of curiosity. I bought 6 of these early in 2018 and they seemed decent enough for the price (I think about $65 each from Uke Republic). Those ukuleles are now at that elementary school that took over our building when we opened our new building this past fall. I was able to buy ukuleles and went with Outdoor Ukuleles this time. I hope we're able to get you one of those (or one of each) to review in the future.

I never send bad ones back and certainly never review the same one twice (two bites of the cherry would make the impartiality of the review pointless). I am actually considering taking it apart to work out what is rattling!! Might do a follow up on that if I get around to it. It's really foxed me because I am convinced the braces are part of the moulding so can't see how one can be loose.

Still happy to review and Outdoor if the company reach out to arrange one

Thanks James - I do occasionally get similar offers in the UK - but.. have a policy that the review uke needs to be brand new - as the new buyer would get one. If you get my reasoning..

Ball remains firmly in Outdoor's court!

Barry, is it possible that the buzz has something to do with the bridge itself? That is, during the process of attaching the bridge to the body, could a little plastic sliver or scrap have sheared off and is now sitting inside the bridge (I'm assuming there's some kind of cavity there, which may or may not be correct), and rattling when the strings are struck or the top rapped with your fingertips? Of course, if that were the case, I guess you'd hear it rattling around if you simply held the uke out and shook it. The only other thing I can think of is the reinforcing "collar" around the soundhole, if somehow it was set in there less-than-securely. Definitely a mystery!

Very good review, Barry. That proves that even Kala can screw up.

I got one for my niece. I dropped the action and put on Martin strings (good and stable). I played and the hell out of it before I gave it to her. IMHO it’s a nice instrument that can take some abuse and you can still have fun with.

I got one for my niece. I dropped the action and put on Martin strings (good and stable). I played and the hell out of it before I gave it to her. IMHO it’s a nice instrument that can take some abuse and you can still have fun with.

How did you drop the action? You can carve into the nut, but what about the saddle?

Top Bottom