Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low G Soprano Suggestions

Default Low G Soprano Suggestions

Hello Uke friends! Any thoughts on a good sounding low G soprano? I have a low G concert and a low G tenor, and donít think most sopranos sound too good in low G, but I am trying my hand at chord melody, and would like to give it a go on a smaller instrument. I have really small hands so a soprano might be easier for me. Iíd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

I have smallish hands too but find a concert easier to play chord/melody than a soprano (and the sound is better). I play high G, which much tablature is written for. So you might hold off on the soprano until you decide you need smaller than a concert or might also consider a concert in high G to give you more options since you have two low G ukes already.

The Romero Creation XS Soprano sounds pretty dad burn fine with a low G:

https://www.romerocreations.com/xs-soprano

Solid mahogany would likely sound good in low G on a standard soprano.

I have long neck soprano low G mahogany ukes (Ohana), fitted with low G concert Living Water fluorocarbon strings, & they sound good to me.

I've previously had laminates too, a Kala KA-S & Makala MK-P, both with low G strings, & they sounded pretty good too, but I think the solid mahogany ones sound better.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

I agree: The XS Soprano was basically made for low G. Soft sounding, but great for fingerpicking.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

Thanks for the suggestions. The Romero Creations looks interesting. I need to do a bit more research. Thanks!

Hey Dox, I too have often toyed with the idea of giving low-G a try, but never quite made the jump. Are you thinking "wound" or "unwound"? I hear good things about the Fremont "Soloist", which I believe is a "wound" string (I think I have that right...). I'm a soprano guy, and have always been impressed with Ohta San's soprano rendition of "Hawaii", on which he uses the low-G tuning.

Child-sized hands here, and soprano is by far my favorite size. But I never did find a true soprano that sounded good with a low G. My go-to low G uke is a Kamaka HF-1L longneck soprano strung with a Fremont soloist. It doesn't have quite the power that a low G concert has, but it's still better than anything else I've tried.

I have a Kala long-neck soprano with spruce top; perhaps it might be worthwhile to take a walk on the wild side and put a Fremont Soloist in that G position!

I have a Romero Creation XS came in wound Low G. Surprisingly good. My Kamaka Pineapple Soprano also sounds fine with Low G.
    A day without playing uke is a day not well lived.

Joseph

Thread Information