Looking for Martin Ditson outline sketch and main dimensions

gerardg

Reaction score
All is on tittle.
Looking for Ditson Soprano outline drawing and main dimensions.
Not real drawing.
Just mains dimensions,
Ø soundhole and location,
front and rear body depths.
This stuff to allow me to draw my own plan, with Ditson for base.
Pdf file for sketch should be ok.
Thank's for help.
Gerard.

Thank's for interest, EDW.
Yes, perhaps someone have infos about Ditson Soprano here ? ...

I have no problem with your english. It's better than my French!

Maybe contact some people who have posted youtube videos with a Ditson to ask

Last edited:
Gerard if you know the scale length you can work out the sizes from these excelent pics of Ditsons. here (ici) http://ditson-ukulele.com/

I don’t know if the OP ever did find the details but parts 1 and 2 of this site might help: https://www.oocities.org/~ukulele/martin2.html

To my (from screen) measurements and calculations the Ditson is only slightly bigger on the boutes than the standard size but a lot fuller in the waist. LB 6&9/16”, UB 5&3/8”, waist 4&11/16”. I’ve used and rounded to Imperial dimensions because that is what it would have been used when it was made. I hope that this info helps somebody at some time, I would suspect that the other features were largely unchanged and they will be available off of the Grellier and Antes plans

Find dimensions.
Done my own drawing.
And ... done this Soprano mahogany Ditson Baby Dreadnought ... with personnal "style".

In 2019.

Ps. CAD drawing with full details available, in *.pdf file. Asking in personnal message, please.

gCLiN-6y0xiphdEor2sV5SztqI8.jpg

Vb-Az8G-jZx5jI1yy2QDi6gZe5A.jpg

93kLqfj9fe-qzFDKLtlUaW_Ns5Y.jpg

Last edited:
Find dimensions.
Done my own drawing.
And ... done this Soprano mahogany Ditson Baby Dreadnought ... with personnal "style".

In 2019.

Ps. CAD drawing with full details available, in *.pdf file. Asking in personnal message, please.

What a fine looking instrument that you have made, congratulations.

Thank you for coming back to the thread and letting us know what happened for you. Thank you too for offering to share your own design with UU members, that’s very kind of you and I feel sure that over the years some people will contact you seeking to take you up on your generous offer.

Obviously your design will be your interpretation and perhaps customised to your particular thoughts too. In scaling dimensions off of photographs, etc., you would have established some core data with which to work. Were the original sizes, etc., that I suggested earlier near to what you found in your much more extensive research?

Ref:
LB 6&9/16”, UB 5&3/8”, waist 4&11/16”.
.... other features ... Grellier and Antes plans

Last edited:
A French Ditson owner, so smart man, sent me on paper, outline top hand drawing, with dimensions,
with diameter and location soundhole,
scale,
heights sides, outline head, widths neck and saddle nuts.
With that, I have made my own drawing.
The story.

Last edited:
I've been wanti9ng to build a Ditson for a long time. I have it in line for when I get free time
Free time, what's that

Top Bottom