Special setup to switch to light strings?

boojiboo

Reaction score
Does a factory-settings uke need any special setup to switch from "normal" (i.e., Aquila) strings to Worth lights?

Rarely, the nut slots are cut too wide for thinner strings and that may cause a buzz of the string at the nut itself as it vibrates against the sides of the nut slot. The only way to find out for sure is to try the new strings on your uke.

I have often switched strings with no issues. The only way to know is to try

I have found that very thin nylon strings intone differently to thicker strings, presumably because the point at which the thinner string starts bending at the nut is that little bit closer to the nut. The flexibility of the string will no doubt be a factor too, so only way to be sure is to try it. I'm lucky that my favourite uke seems to intone best with my favourite thin strings, but another uke intones terribly with them.

I have found that very thin nylon strings intone differently to thicker strings, presumably because the point at which the thinner string starts bending at the nut is that little bit closer to the nut. The flexibility of the string will no doubt be a factor too, so only way to be sure is to try it. I'm lucky that my favourite uke seems to intone best with my favourite thin strings, but another uke intones terribly with them.

That's interesting, though I should have suspected! My "upgrade" Ohana has Worths and I love how it sounds. I hope the uke I'm considering would sound good, too; guess I'll find out if I get it. :)

Top Bottom