NUD: Romero Creations DH6

Congrats! I was smitten by the tone of this when it was first posted. Your video demo further comfirms what an incredible value these are. Enjoy!!

I am glad this thread brings you out from hidding. Where have you been?

HMS just answered my email about these. They don’t expect more for 4-6 months. Say whaaat? So sad.

Someone saw it at Elderly instruments sold out within the hours but they may only stock one.
I am sure there will be more and probably even better than this first batch.

Very cool Brenda! It looks like your return to guitar playing is perfect.
Congrats, it's beautiful!

Thank you Nickie
Congratulations, Brenda! I love the deep rich sound. You play very well. I am impressed by your playing and how quick you were able to pull the trigger on the purchase. Enjoy it. I am sure you will.

Osprey ; I asked Daniel Ho if he will make one with standard guitar tuning when he introduced the TT6 guitarlele . A year later he came out with this 21” scale. I just had to buy it ! If I did not pull the trigger your friend Downupdave would grab it for himself. I needed to act fast !

Last edited:
The D Ho 6-string is an incredible piece of musical engineering and art. Hey, Brenda - since we each have one and they are the same, it’s as if we had married identical twins and are now sisters-in-law. :D:D

The D Ho 6-string is an incredible piece of musical engineering and art. Hey, Brenda - since we each have one and they are the same, it’s as if we had married identical twins and are now sisters-in-law. :D:D

Dear sister-in-law. I am glad you like the DH6 as much as I do ! The bass volume from this TT shape body is awesome! Daniel Ho and Pepe Romero are Genius !

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Ukulele Eddie
Congrats! I was smitten by the tone of this when it was first posted. Your video demo further confirms what an incredible value these are. Enjoy!!

I am glad this thread brings you out from hiding. Where have you been?

I broke my left arm/elbow pretty badly on January 1st (3 plates, 15 screws to put it back together). Email me for pics. ;-)
How did I do it? My wife discovered most of my cases actually have ukes in them and that it's not just UCAS (Ukulele Case Acquisition Syndrome). LOL. About 10 days ago I finally resumed playing a little bit every day. The weird thing is my left arm doesn't feel like MY left arm and it gets tired pretty quickly. Will be a long recovery road to hopefully full range of motion but thankful to be playing again.

quote_icon.png
Congrats! I was smitten by the tone of this when it was first posted. Your video demo further confirms what an incredible value these are. Enjoy!!

I broke my left arm/elbow pretty badly on January 1st (3 plates, 15 screws to put it back together). Email me for pics. ;-)
How did I do it? My wife discovered most of my cases actually have ukes in them and that it's not just UCAS (Ukulele Case Acquisition Syndrome). LOL. About 10 days ago I finally resumed playing a little bit every day. The weird thing is my left arm doesn't feel like MY left arm and it gets tired pretty quickly. Will be a long recovery road to hopefully full range of motion but thankful to be playing again.

WOW Eddie....your injury is quite serious. Thank you for sharing the photos. I am glad you were not alone when it happened and that you are now on your way to recovery although it looks like it may take quite sometime before you can play again comfortably.

I have just uploaded a second video using this DH6 if any one is interested to hear the voice. It is in the guitar section within this forum. Here is the link

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...iel-Ho-6-strings-guitar&p=2133855#post2133855

Can this DH6 model also be tuned G to G with Pepe Romero Strings Guilele Set (UG1), as you can with the RC Baritone 6?

I realize the Baritone 6 has a 20" scale whereas this DH6 has a 21" scale; which brings up the question.

Thanks!!

Can this DH6 model also be tuned G to G with Pepe Romero Strings Guilele Set (UG1), as you can with the RC Baritone 6?

I realize the Baritone 6 has a 20" scale whereas this DH6 has a 21" scale; which brings up the question.

Thanks!!

I did not try this tuning because I am happy to find a 21” that do E to E. it’s a dream comes true for me
Perhaps Downupdave can answer this. He has the RC 21” ( not DH6) Will forward this to him for you. Stay tune

As I am now noodling on guitar most of the time, I have been waiting and waiting for the DH6 to be back in stock. Last week HMS got one/some in and I grabbed one. Should have it in a couple weeks after setup.

As I am now noodling on guitar most of the time, I have been waiting and waiting for the DH6 to be back in stock. Last week HMS got one/some in and I grabbed one. Should have it in a couple weeks after setup.

Wow. Eddie. Good for you
Welcome to the family. Daniel Ho would be pleased. I have been talking to him about the DH6.

Thanks!!

Whenever going up in pitch, from E-E up to G-G you would use strings of smaller diameter which are lower tension. I had tried my 20” Pepe Baritone Guilele in G-G tuning, I just installed normal tension classical guitar strings. I am not sure of the diameters of the UG-1 and UG-2 sets so I can’t comment on those specifically.

Whenever going up in pitch, from E-E up to G-G you would use strings of smaller diameter which are lower tension. I had tried my 20” Pepe Baritone Guilele in G-G tuning, I just installed normal tension classical guitar strings. I am not sure of the diameters of the UG-1 and UG-2 sets so I can’t comment on those specifically.

Thank you Dave for responding this all the way from Finland.

According to my measurements (no specs on packaging or website), the Romero Creations UG1 set is:

1 = .021" | 2 = .026" | 3 = .0315" | 4 = .0275" | 5 = .034" | 6 = .042"

So the trebles are basically the same as a light gauge set for tenor ukulele while the bass are equivalent light gauge classical guitar strings. I'm pretty sure they will feel fine on the DH6 at G to G. After all, it's common for requintos with slightly longer scale to be tuned A to A and similar alto guitars at B to B. However, the only way to know if it sounds good is to try it! I had my Baritone 6 tuned A to A and the UG1 felt too high tension (tone was a little "choked" as well). I made up a little lighter custom set for A to A tuning and it was much better:

1 = Seaguar Premiere 30 LB, .020"
2 = Seaguar Premiere 50 LB, 0.024”
3 = Seaguar Pink Label 60 LB, 0.029”
4 = D'Addario silver wound .026"
5 = D'Addario silver wound .030"
6 = D'Addario silver wound .036"

Ultimately I found G to G the most resonant and comfortable to play on the Baritone 6. If I ever end up with a DH6 I'd certainly try G to G. I seem to recall Andrew in a recent HMS video asking if the DH6 about to be demonstrated was in G to G tuning (it wasn't), so they may have been experimenting with G to G at the shop.

So the trebles are basically the same as a light gauge set for tenor ukulele while the bass are equivalent light gauge classical guitar strings. I'm pretty sure they will feel fine on the DH6 at G to G. After all, it's common for requintos with slightly longer scale to be tuned A to A and similar alto guitars at B to B. However, the only way to know if it sounds good is to try it! I had my Baritone 6 tuned A to A and the UG1 felt too high tension (tone was a little "choked" as well).

Ultimately I found G to G the most resonant and comfortable to play on the Baritone 6. If I ever end up with a DH6 I'd certainly try G to G. I seem to recall Andrew in a recent HMS video asking if the DH6 about to be demonstrated was in G to G tuning (it wasn't), so they may have been experimenting with G to G at the shop.

Thanks to Gochugogi, DUD and Brenda. I sent this same question direct to Romero Creations; however, there has been no response so far.

I can ask Daniel Ho for you

Thanks Brenda; I'm good with Peter's last response which pretty much answers my question.

EDIT: Pepe Romero answered my Email question regarding which string sets and tunings will work for the DH6.

"Hi William,
Yes you can tune the D Ho 6 string G to G with set UG1! It’s nice to have options...
Daniel tunes his lower that e to e (Slack Key) it’s a very versatile instrument.
Best wishes,
Pepe Romero"

Last edited:
quote_icon.png

Wow Eddie so sorry to hear about your injury. Thankfully your on the mend and playing again. Keep on the road to recovery and happy strumming.

Brenda your playing is great. Enjoy your DH6 it looks and sounds great.

Top Bottom