Strap buttons on a Koaloha Crown Bridge?

Ikeepthepeace

Reaction score
Aloha UU,

I recently received a 2007 Koaloha Crown Bridge Tenor Ukulele, with a one piece top and back in unplayed condition. And I was wondering if you think it would be wise to install strap buttons? I am mainly concerned with devaluing its collectability, and resale value. I personally love strap buttons and have them on my other ukes but one of this caliber I am very hesitant to put them on. LMK what you all think

Mahalo,
Mason

Are you planning to play it, or try to sell it for a profit?

If you plan to play it, then you can 1) play while seated, 2) have a strap button installed, 3) get a strap that doesn't require a button (Uke Leash, Mobius, hook style, etc.), or 4) learn to play it without a strap - which is what I do with my KoAloha Sceptre.

If you want to sell it for a profit, loosen the strings, put it in a case, put the case in a bag with some kind of humidification system, check the humidity level weekly, and don't open the case without checking market values.

I'd rather play it, myself.

-Kurt​

I am planning on playing it but I don't wanna devalue it just incase I decide to sell it.

I couldn't imagine playing an 'ukulele without a strap but I prefer standing while playing and often have to play keyboards or small percussion with the 'ukulele at ready. One thing you might consider is installing only one button on the lower bout and attaching the other end to the head stock with a strap adapter or shoestring.

I'm a big fan of endpins and strap buttons and have installed them on quite a few ukuleles. But no, I would not do it to a valuable and collectable ukulele.

Well, if you think you're gonna sell it, don't do it...........
.....on the other hand if you intend playing it, go ahead.........
.........why suffer not having it as you like it.........
.............. if you don't like playing without a strap, you're bound to end up selling it!. :)

I can never understand the idea of not adding strap buttons to any uke. I don't see how it would devalue it, in fact, to me it's just the opposite, strap buttons make it more useful, therefore more valuable. The most expensive guitars in the world have strap buttons. I'd add strap buttons in an instant.

9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 8 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 33)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

The KoAlohas are such a light build and have stripped a lot of heavy parts such as dovetailing neck and end blocks with the goal to enhance their punchy sound. I am not sure their bodies can even support a strap button installation and it may be wise to ask at the factory if this is reasonable and more specifically where to put it.

The KoAlohas are such a light build and have stripped a lot of heavy parts such as dovetailing neck and end blocks with the goal to enhance their punchy sound. I am not sure their bodies can even support a strap button installation and it may be wise to ask at the factory if this is reasonable and more specifically where to put it.

I’ve owned quite a few Koaloha/Opio ukes. Each one had two strap buttons installed. Put them on and play it.

I can never understand the idea of not adding strap buttons to any uke. I don't see how it would devalue it, in fact, to me it's just the opposite, strap buttons make it more useful, therefore more valuable. The most expensive guitars in the world have strap buttons. I'd add strap buttons in an instant.

I love straps on my 'ukuleles but I've yet to see a Hauser or Fleta guitar fitted with strap buttons but now that I think of it, it was common during the 17th century and onwards. I wonder if this 1679 Stradivari guitar has one:

Aloha,

Thanks everyone for your imput, my thing is that Im not so much worried about playing with them. I know I like to play with a strap, my concern is devaluing a rare instrument. I know this is a highly collectable uke and while I plan on keeping this one for a long time, I do not want to tarnish its collectable value.

Aloha,

Thanks everyone for your imput, my thing is that Im not so much worried about playing with them. I know I like to play with a strap, my concern is devaluing a rare instrument. I know this is a highly collectable uke and while I plan on keeping this one for a long time, I do not want to tarnish its collectable value.

I don't want to come across the wrong way but I have a number of "custom built" ukes that are truely one of a kind. This makes them very, very very rare and expensive and each one has two strap buttons. LfdM, Koolau, Collings, Compass Rose, Mya Moe, I'iwi etc. etc has all gotten strap buttons.

I understand your concern because ukes are not sold with strap buttons preinstalled like guitars. I guess it might put some people off but everyone that has responded likes strap buttons so we would all buy it with strap buttons.

Aloha Dave,

You are absolutely right. I guess Im gonna do it haha Mahalos to everyone who replied

I would install one pn the bottom and use like a neo tech uke strap which can attach to the headstock and bottom strap button.
Or any other strap which can attach without a second strap button. Good luck with your choice and Congrats on your new to you uke.

It is worthless as a collector's item. It's a great musical instrument. If you want strap buttons, install them.

Top Bottom