Hi there, from Mesquite, NV

JoyLily

Reaction score
Hey there! I'm JoyLily from Mesquite, NV. I'm a single mom, and have been playing the ukulele for a little over a week. I have experience with stringed instruments before so it's not a fully "cold" learning, but it's been a while so it's rather...cool-warm.

I can honestly say I'm at the point of addiction to the uke. Every time my son takes his nap I'm playing it even a little. He has a plastic spiderman one that my mom got him for Christmas that I sort of play a bit sometimes, but I have an Aklot Tenor that I'm loving.

I found this place because I typed into google, "Strumming a ukulele with your middle finger" and found a thread on it. Checked around a bit to see if this place was still active (I haven't seen forums like this since the early to mid 00's!) saw it was and decided to give it a try.

Thanks for having a place like this! I'm excited to be here! * runs off slightly giggling and dives in to get to know the place. *

Anyone else in NV, AZ strip, or St. George?

Welcome from West Virginia. I have a couple of those plastic ukuleles, too. Fun to play around on, and my grandkids can join in with them.

Hello! I'm a single mom also and remember sneaking in some strumming while they napped! :) Mine are too big for naps now (9 and 11), but my youngest recently started playing uke too. So keep at it, you're setting a great example! <3

Hello from Phoenix!

Welcome from Northern Nevada and Phoenix area (2nd home)! This is a wonderful place, full of great information, fun folks, and a contagious disease, UAS :rolleyes:

All it takes is a few minutes a day. Look up Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. Also, if you want to play for your little one, this is a great site by and for librarians with lots of kids songs arranged with very simple beginner chords: https://storytimeukulele.wordpress.com/

I play for my three grandchildren, all under three, and there are lots of songs they enjoy there. When I babysit I often sing them a song or two following reading time before bed. They don't quite sing along yet, but the two-year-olds, will often sing some of the song for me. For example, they sing the quacks in Five Little Ducks.

Have fun with your ukulele journey! Richard

Thank you, everyone! I'm very excited to be playing. This whole place is awesome. Kind of a catchall for everything I could ask!

I'm in henderson. Not that close, but possibly one of the closer members. With all the Hawaiian transplants in Vegas I'm sure there's fit to be a few more in the valley at least

Welcome from Sparta, Wisconsin!

I can remember growing up in a home often filled with music. From My parents listening to classical and big band music. My sisters playing the piano and guitars. Playing rock and folk music records. Something was usually playing somewhere in the house. My grandparents often had music playing as well.

It truly enriches our lives at an early age and continues for an entire lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Top Bottom