Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Do you seek out and listen to ukulele music?

I didn't exactly seek it out per-say, I just stumbled onto musicians because of my ukulele searches (on YouTube) all related to learning songs, technique, and etc. Because of that I bought three ukulele albums plus I added them to my Pandora and Spotify and by doing so you hear other musicians (Pandora) and from there I add more to my list of a song/person catches my ear.

Same for me, more stumbling than searching. I did pick a up book with some jazz standards (that I don't know) so I've listened to the CD a few times to become familiar with the songs but that's about it.

When I first started playing, I didn't really listen to ukulele music aside from a few songs that featured the instrument, for example Good Company by Queen (which is bloody excellent). I also just mostly played songs that were typically originally played with classical or acoustic guitar. After that came the few typical former artists associated with the ukulele that you usually bump into fairly quickly, like George Formby and Tiny Tim. I still play and listen to some Formby, even though he's obviously more known for playing the ukulele banjo. Finally, I stumbled upon a few ukulele artists that are still active, like James Hill, Rachel Manke and Ralph Straw, and I'm starting to listen to their music more.

But for me, at least currently, the ultimate ukulele music is the magnificence of Roy Smeck. I've been listening to some of this compilation albums almost non-stop for the past few weeks and I can't get enough. I'm even starting to play some of the stuff he did, but learning that will take some time as I'm sure you'll know if you're familiar with the guy and his talent.

I have hundreds of ukulele songs on a flash drive in my car, including just about everything that George Formby recorded.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthroterra View Post
    I very much seek out music featuring ukulele, and include bands that do not feature it as the primary instrument. I like to see how far people push it and how it can combine with other instruments (Rob Scallon playing death metal, anyone?). I'm hearing it more and more, too, particularly with children's programming like Peg + Cat. These are just artists whose albums I own. I own more than this, but these are the ones I actually listen to often. Also, I *may* have an addiction-
    Thank you Anthrotherra your list should be made a sticky for the UU. I have met some of the artists in person, and others I have stumbled upon on youtube, but others I have not heard of. Some of these ukers are both inspiring yet frightening to me.

Ah... new life breathed into a dormant thread!

My situation hasn't changed since first posting. I have a 4 CD box set of ukulele music (2 of the 4 discs are almost all Cliff Edwards and George Formby) but I think I've only listened to it once. I may have to give it a spin again, I remember nothing about it. I went to a Squeeze concert earlier this week and Glenn Tilbrook played a ukulele on one of the songs but the band was so loud you could barely hear it. I recently bought a Romero Creations ST and they included a Daniel Ho CD sampler which was excellent. It was a very nice surprise! If any of you are familiar with the vibe of ECM recordings it very much has that kind of vibe. It's a lovely, soothing and relaxing sampler which I've enjoyed a lot. I've spun that one about 5-6 times.
    Ohana CK-42R - all-solid concert, sinker redwood top, rosewood body, maple binding, Ltd. Edition
    Kala KA-FMCG- solid/lam concert, spruce top, spalted flame maple body, mahogany binding
    Ohana CK-120G - all-solid concert, 5A acacia top sides and back, mahogany binding, Limited Edition
    Ohana SK-30M - all-solid mahogany long neck soprano (concert scale)
    Romero ST - solid/lam concert, spruce top, mahogany body

For those who do listen to ukulele music, Daniel Ho has a new album out. I haven't purchased it yet, but from the preview, it sounds lovely.

Embroidering Melodies - Daniel Ho and The Suzhou Masters
    The description is:
    "A deeply moving embroidery of southern Chinese music embellished with Western accents…a musical landscape by six-time Grammy® Award-winner Daniel Ho."

It might not feature ukulele as much as his previous albums, (my guess based on the preview and not hearing the album yet), but the preview on his website makes me think I want this one.

From a Hawaiian perspective, and I’m not Hawaiian, but I’ve lived here in Honolulu for six years, you hardly ever hear ukulele alone. Rather, ukulele is usually part of a larger group that includes a guitar and bass and of course singers. The ukulele plays rhythm and lead parts. Jake and Taimane make the ukulele the center of the show but it’s more of an attention grabbing novelty that shows off certain techniques. Jake can be very melodic if he’s in the mood or he can emphasize the tremolo effect. Hawaiian is certainly not the only kind of music I like but for good current Hawaiian music I highly recommend Hoku Zuttermeister. He comes from a famous Hawaiian musical family and has a beautiful voice and great choice of songs. There are of course many others.

But to answer the beginning question, no I don’t search out ukulele music, but I love playing the ukulele with people playing other instruments. I use it in its capacity as a rhythm instrument with which I can throw in fills. When I feed my Pono chambered tenor or baritone through an amp I don’t think it can necessarily be identified as an ukulele. People would probably think it’s a guitar playing up the neck, in a jazzy or rock or folk style. I’m not a lead guitarist and have no desire to be one but I do consider myself to be a halfway decent rhythm guitarist who just happens to play a four stringed guitar. Keith Richards just uses one more string than I do.

Amazon is a good place to find uke music. I like the oldies - Formby, Cliff Edwards, Roy Smeck, and the newer ones - IZ, and Keali'i Reichel
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Thread Information