Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Ball Ukulele Strings

Default Ernie Ball Ukulele Strings

Known this brand for years with their guitar strings - this is their first foray into ukulele. Launched today.
    https://www.gotaukulele.com/2019/03/...e-strings.html
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

www.gotaukulele.com - uke reviews, songs, tips & tricks for beginners!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

Cool, nice to have more string options! I've always used yellow Slinky strings on my teles, so now I can have a Slinky uke too! My only concern would be the pre-installed ball end. Some string-thru bridges have a very tiny hole, where you need to first thread the string through, grab it through the soundhole, and then tie the interior knot, with or without a ball end or bead. These won't allow that, at least not without cutting off the ball first, and presumably reusing it, once you fished the other end of the string through the soundhole.
    John

You know what - I hadn't thought of that - you are absolutely right. In fact it wont work on those! Going to edit review to that effect!!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Kamaka HF-1, Koaloha KTM-00, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano

I thought of that too, but cutting the ball off is easy, at which point you could just tie a knot, as usual. The option of having it for other bridge styles is nice. I wish more companies did this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Cool, nice to have more string options! I've always used yellow Slinky strings on my teles, so now I can have a Slinky uke too! My only concern would be the pre-installed ball end. Some string-thru bridges have a very tiny hole, where you need to first thread the string through, grab it through the soundhole, and then tie the interior knot, with or without a ball end or bead. These won't allow that, at least not without cutting off the ball first, and presumably reusing it, once you fished the other end of the string through the soundhole.

Yes, of course - the string is still usable with whatever style.

I just saw that Guitar Center has them available on their website for US $5.49. I'm hoping that my local GC decides to stock them. It would be nice to have another local choice other than Aquila Nylguts or occasionally, Martins.
    Larry

• COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

In the review he says:"One of those things that always causes a lot of buzz in the ukulele world...."

I hope that is not a commentary on the sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    I just saw that Guitar Center has them available on their website for US $5.49. I'm hoping that my local GC decides to stock them. It would be nice to have another local choice other than Aquila Nylguts or occasionally, Martins.
    Yes, I definitely notice my local stores seem to be moving to all Aquila and can only find a few leftover D'Addarios. Even Martins are getting hard to find. Have to get my strings online now.

Great to see another option for ukulele strings. I can see them putting the ball ends on given their guitar string background - Kanilea players (and others) will appreciate them. Just remember to keep your old ball ends in a safe place for when you try another brand.
    Glenn

I've used their mandolin strings on banjo-ukes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hoosierhiver

UWC: no shirt, no shoes, no problem..

Ukes questions should be emailed to mike@mainlandukes.com

I know Gary Yoshida.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierhiver View Post
    I've used their mandolin strings on banjo-ukes.
    Aren't mandolin strings steel? I always thought that ukes and banjo-ukes needed nylon or fluoro strings.
    Larry

• COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Thread Information