Ernie Ball Ukulele Strings

bazmaz

Reaction score
Cool, nice to have more string options! I've always used yellow Slinky strings on my teles, so now I can have a Slinky uke too! My only concern would be the pre-installed ball end. Some string-thru bridges have a very tiny hole, where you need to first thread the string through, grab it through the soundhole, and then tie the interior knot, with or without a ball end or bead. These won't allow that, at least not without cutting off the ball first, and presumably reusing it, once you fished the other end of the string through the soundhole.

You know what - I hadn't thought of that - you are absolutely right. In fact it wont work on those! Going to edit review to that effect!!

I thought of that too, but cutting the ball off is easy, at which point you could just tie a knot, as usual. The option of having it for other bridge styles is nice. I wish more companies did this.

Cool, nice to have more string options! I've always used yellow Slinky strings on my teles, so now I can have a Slinky uke too! My only concern would be the pre-installed ball end. Some string-thru bridges have a very tiny hole, where you need to first thread the string through, grab it through the soundhole, and then tie the interior knot, with or without a ball end or bead. These won't allow that, at least not without cutting off the ball first, and presumably reusing it, once you fished the other end of the string through the soundhole.

Yes, of course - the string is still usable with whatever style.

I just saw that Guitar Center has them available on their website for US $5.49. I'm hoping that my local GC decides to stock them. It would be nice to have another local choice other than Aquila Nylguts or occasionally, Martins.

In the review he says:"One of those things that always causes a lot of buzz in the ukulele world...."

I hope that is not a commentary on the sound!

I just saw that Guitar Center has them available on their website for US $5.49. I'm hoping that my local GC decides to stock them. It would be nice to have another local choice other than Aquila Nylguts or occasionally, Martins.

Yes, I definitely notice my local stores seem to be moving to all Aquila and can only find a few leftover D'Addarios. Even Martins are getting hard to find. Have to get my strings online now.

Great to see another option for ukulele strings. I can see them putting the ball ends on given their guitar string background - Kanilea players (and others) will appreciate them. Just remember to keep your old ball ends in a safe place for when you try another brand.

When I change strings with the through top method I put a little flag of tape on end of the string that is left on the top. That way it can’t be accidentally pull through while I am knotting the end that will remain inside.

The little ball would replace that tape and be cut off so string can be threaded through tuner.

Don’t know why they actually put the ball there but that’s how I would use it for a through the top installation.

When I change strings with the through top method I put a little flag of tape on end of the string that is left on the top. That way it can’t be accidentally pull through while I am knotting the end that will remain inside.

The little ball would replace that tape and be cut off so string can be threaded through tuner.

Don’t know why they actually put the ball there but that’s how I would use it for a through the top installation.

That's an excellent way to think about it. I don't know how many times I've pulled the the string through the "bridge hole" while tying my knot.
Kinda wish all strings came with them now.

Resurrecting a topic that's several weeks old for another Ernie Ball Ukulele String question.

Does anyone know if the ball is small enough to fit in the hole of a slotted bridge without getting irretrievably stuck?

Does anyone know if the ball is small enough to fit in the hole of a slotted bridge without getting irretrievably stuck?

Answered my own question as I installed a set of the Black Nylon on my concert. The ball ends need to cut off for a slotted bridge. Ernie Ball provided the pictured instructions in their string package.

EB Instructions.jpg

Top Bottom