Vintage martin style o frets

teninobob

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for the help. I picked up a vintage martin style oh, stamped Nazareth PA inside, going to put new strings on it and give it a good cleaning the question is the frets almost look like they have black paint on them with the natural fret wire color poking through, what can I use to clean those up before I string it up? Thanks very much, Bob

Hi Bob, well, I suppose you'll want to avoid paint thinner! But short of that, I'd almost be tempted to say that if you can get the fretboard and the frets fundamentally clean and smooth, I'd just leave it be for now, and see how it goes...

Just get some 0000 steel wool and go over the whole fret board. Hit it with a little mineral oil on the fingerboard every now and then.

Just get some 0000 steel wool and go over the whole fret board. Hit it with a little mineral oil on the fingerboard every now and then.

Bob, trust me, BlackBearUkes is among the most respected and knowledgeable craftsmen around; you can "take his advice to the bank", as they say!

Before using 0000 steel wool , I'd try a micro fiber cloth slightly dampened . The microfiber cloth is the important part , they work like magic.

Bob, trust me, BlackBearUkes is among the most respected and knowledgeable craftsmen around; you can "take his advice to the bank", as they say!

Bingo. Not to mention a neighbor. Always love looking at his builds. Beautiful work. Thanks for everything guys

Top Bottom