Koaloha Opio KCO-10 (Acacia) vs Martin C1-k

hollymichele

Reaction score
Koaloha Opio KCO-10 (* the Acacia model) vs Martin C1-k

If you've played both, how would you describe the differences? Specifically, which would you say is louder?...which deeper/darker sounding?....which has more sustain?

And thanks for suggesting that I try both in person for myself, but I can't find anything more than Kala, Luna, or Lanikai around here...so have to rely on audio samples and others' opinions, unfortunately. Would love to try out more ukes in person, for sure, if there were more local opportunities.

Individual variations aside, generally speaking if you want a deeper/darker sound, koa and acacia are not the place to look. Mahogany may be what you are looking for.

I own one of these (Opio) and have played the C1K. I’ll probably buy a C1K at some point (used) as I really like the concert size the most (I currently have an S1).

That said, in all three categories, the Opio will be louder, darker (especially with a Low G String) and have more sustain. I also have a 2004 KoAloha (not an Opio) and the Koa model has all of these things but a bit more clarity on the top end of the sound range.

The Martin isn’t bad in any regard—and you can’t go wrong with it, either—but the internal construction of the KoAloha will give it the classic KoAloha sound (the unibrace is an amazing concept).

Two other things; the KoAloha will be covered with a lifetime warranty for building defects (my 2004 received.a new bridge and finish last summer). And the KoAloha comes with friction tuners—good ones—but you may want to consider a $60 upgrade to UPTs, especially if you buy it from The Ukulele Site. I don’t know if Mim puts UPTs on ukuleles it you could check. UkeRepublic should be able to get an Opio as well.

And Mim is going to be carrying Martin ukuleles for the first time in the near future, and that’s how I would recommend the purchase if you go with the C1K. Otherwise Elderly carries them too and will also do a set-up before shipping.

I don't own a Martin C1K but I did just play one in a shop during a recent try out and, while a nice instrument, it definitely leans to the bright side of timbres. If you're wanting deeper/darker probably a traditional mahogany in a tenor body is the ticket.

I have an acacia KoAloha Opio long neck concert, it's my top uke, but mostly I play mahogany, the acacia is a little bit brighter sounding, but quite close, & the Opio is definately louder/clearer sounding, but can easily be played quietly if you want.

(I've never been attracted to Martins, so can't help there.)

Top Bottom