What's up with the Martin C1K?

Yeah, that nut width on the Martin tenors is a weird choice. I didn't realize it was because they were following old designs.

So, were nut widths on the vintage Martin tenors also 34mm? I've never played one, only the modern T1K.

I don't know, I guess? I was just going by haziz's comment about Martin following their old designs. Which would make sense.

Er, I don't mean it makes sense to have such a narrow width. I mean it makes sense that that's why they went with such a narrow width; I couldn't figure out why their tenors were narrower than their smaller models. And I still don't get why they would've done it that way in the old days.

Agreed, the 34mm nut width on the T1K is really a head scratcher to me. Both the S1 soprano and C1k concert ukes have wider nuts. I loved the T1K sound, but just couldn't adapt to that thin nut. Even modding the nut for a wider string spacing wouldn't gain much, there just wasn't enough room. Too bad.

Wait, you're saying the nut on the S1 sop and the C1K concert are WIDER than that on the T1K tenor??

I have a beautiful old Martin Tenor, which I believe is from the early 50s. Its got a wonderful tone, and looks like it was made yesterday. Unfortunately it just sits in it's case because of how narrow the neck is. I haven't measured it, but its much more narrow and thin than my other ukes.

Wait, you're saying the nut on the S1 sop and the C1K concert are WIDER than that on the T1K tenor??

I have no reference with the other sizes or models.

The nut on my Martin 1T IZ Tenor is 1-3/8" Wide. The string width G to A is 1-1/8" Which is 3/8" string spacing. (The industry suggested standard.) Fretboard is 1-7/8" wide at the 14th fret where it meets the body.

Another mug shot of an older C1K (on left), compared to how many of the new ones look (on right). Kinda sad :(

View attachment 134905

the one on the left looks like mahogany.

Neither of them is particularly attractive, but they do sound good and are koa for a good price. I think they play nicely too.

The C1K is def not an entry level at all…..my Kala ka-15C is an entry level uke….. the C1K is more of an intermediate uke for those who want to try a solid koa uke but are not yet ready to spend the $1,000+ on one of the famous Hawaiian K brands. To be honest though…..it’s a GREAT instrument! It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles, inlays , pretty koa etc. but think about it…..if it did, then how far would it be from a Kamaka Hf-2 costing $1,345. For the price of the C1K at $500 you can’t beat it. The build quality is as expected from Martin even though it’s made In Mexico (which is only to keep the cost down) no corners were cut at all and the tone is very attractive and makes you want to play it more and more. I mean C’mon….Martin has been making ukes since 1916…..they know what they’re doing! Even has that distinct Martin smell. The one I have isn’t as dark in color as a kanileah but it still looks like a premium satin finish that doesn’t look cheap and has some sort of glimmer to it. I’m looking to get one of the K brands in the near future but my Martin will always be close by for as long as it lasts.

Top Bottom