Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What's up with the Martin C1K?

I had. Martin C1K purchased used off reverb. Eventually I also acquired a koa Kanilea and a koa Koaloha. I did a blind sound test with these as well as a couple of other concerts i had, judged by a couple of friends.

They gave it a three way tie between the Kani, Koaloha, and Martin. It was not as pretty to look at as the others, but was very well made, no defects. It smelled great! It was light and pleasant to play.

In hindsight, if I was doing it all over again and was new to he uke world and wanted to buy my first solid wood, good-sounding uke without spending twelve hundred bucks, I would go with the Martin. Then I would play the crap out of it and not shop around for a better uke till I WAS ready to spend twelve hundred.

In the end I sold the others, but still have the Koaloha. Now I want to switch to mostly tenors, so I will be selling the concert, or trading it towards a tenor Koaloha.

I just bought an Opio long neck concert, and it is not as evenly balanced nor as smooth as my concert Koolaha.
    Play uke, live long, and prosper!
    Current herd:
    Sopranos: Famous FS-7, mango Kamaka white label, sweet old Regal, Enya pineapple, Vintage Japanese Motoro pineapple
    Concerts: Myrtle Mya Moe, KCM Koaloha, Cocobolo Ukuleles, Fred Shields Backpacker
    Tenors: Pono ATSH-PC, Pono MT-PC, solid koa Romero Creations Tiny Tenor, Opio KCO-02 (long neck concert)
    Sopraninos: Two fun leetle Caramels,

I have one and so does a friend. We like both the looks and the sound. Maybe it an "eye of the beholder" thing. When you consider the price, compared with a KoAloha koa concert, it's a bargain. I got mine used for under $400.

02.jpg
    Last edited by Jerryc41; 09-08-2019 at 12:48 AM.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

I absolutely love my C1K. I'll agree with some other posters, there are certainly variations in the Koa appearance from uke to uke--you have to look around for a great pick. That's another reason I loved buying from Mim--pictures of each individual uke.

For comparison, below a some pictures of the front any back of my C1K.

As for sound, I can't claim any comparison to a K-brand because I've never heard them side by side live. IMO, it's my best sounding uke and well worth the price I paid.

C1K - 1.jpg C1K - 2.jpg
    Adam

C.F. Martin (C1K) All Solid Koa Concert - Martin M610 Premium Polygut Soprano/Concert
    Kremona Coco All Solid Cedar / Indian Rosewood - Savarez 140R Soprano/Concert
    Kala (KA-SPMT-TRI) All Solid Spruce / Pau Ferro / Mango Tenor - PhD Ukulele Strings Tenor Low G
    Kala (KA-SWG-BL) Glow-in-the-Dark Aqua Matte Waterman Soprano - Martin M600 Clear Fluorocarbon Soprano/Concert

Does anyone play a Martin with a pickup?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Thread Information