Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: What's up with the Martin C1K?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    The colour of the wood will change over time. In 80 years it might look completely different. Obviously the Martin stash of koa wood is not the same as the stash used by other makers, and there is only so much wood that can be harvested from a single tree. If we follow the last 100 years of history, the Martin C1K will still be sought after at the end of this century. If you are lucky enough to have one in its early life, maybe you could take some photos and make some sound recordings to inform the lucky owners in the 2090s?

I love the ignorance in the discussion about the bridges. There will be a good reason if the bridges fitted at Nazareth are different to the bridges fitted in Mexico, I don't know the reason. Unless you know the reason, most discussion about how it looks it irrelevant. if you pay $1800 for a uke, the best thing to do is play it, then play it some more, and then keep playing it, and leave the finish alone unless you are following instructions in the Martin care and maintenance guide.
    Wait 80 years? Sorry, I'll let you do that, not me, I don't have that long. If Martin can't put out a decent, traditional looking koa uke (Martin is all about tradition, right?), then they should either switch to an alternate wood, ilke acacia, or dye that light koa, which would improve the look immeasurably, YMMV. CITES is over. I say bring back dark rosewood boards, and lose the cheesy, light bamboo-looking bodies. Unfortunately, upon deaf ears, my pleas do apparently fall, so far.

If you pay good money for a new Martin uke, from either country of origin, and it looks lousy, you should either send it back, and get an earlier used model which will appeal to both your eyes and ears, or get a vintage Martin
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-13-2020 at 04:29 PM.
    John

The same wood variety can come in many shades. I have a cocobolo uke from Nicaragua which is brown streaked with tan. Other luthiers in Nicaragua make cocobolo ukes that are red. I guess one tree makes many ukes and different luthiers have different logs.
    Last edited by Oldtoolie; 02-13-2020 at 11:47 PM.

The latest listings from Mim look pretty good...

Untitled.jpg
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water | Waverly Street banjolele - Worth Browns
    Tenor: Epiphone Hummingbird - Living Water low G
    UBass: Kala FS2 - Pahoehoe

Yes, those 3 look pretty good. I do want one, and will get one eventually, most likely an older used model, so I can get the darker look I prefer, with a rosewood fretboard. I know one thing: if I ordered one sight unseen from an internet vendor, based on a stock pic like below, and opened it to find a very light colored version, I would not be happy. I know, ordering sight unseen is silly, but I'm sure this happens all the time. It happened to me once, with another brand, but won't again.

20200214_075830.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by UkerDanno View Post
    The latest listings from Mim look pretty good...

Untitled.jpg
    I think they are pretty sexy too! And they sound super good! The one thing all Martins need right now is an action adjustment. But with a little Mim-love, they play super well and really are full and robust!
    I need to make a demo video because I think people are not giving them a change due to some issues with setup, because they literally set them up to the 1920s specifications which has a higher 12th fret action.
    But that can be modified. And they really do have a nice open sound!
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

BTW, I have been invited to Nazareth for some face to face to talk about all things ukulele. I have been there once to pick out some custom woods, but this will be more thorough and directly with some VPs so some cool things should be happening in the future.
    www.mimsukes.com... facebook... twitter... Youtube: For Fun... Youtube: Business...
    You're an awesome maniac! -Mark Stay weird, Mim. -RichM
    ...perhaps your quality expectation looks different from me. -PK

Quote Originally Posted by Mim View Post
    BTW, I have been invited to Nazareth for some face to face to talk about all things ukulele. I have been there once to pick out some custom woods, but this will be more thorough and directly with some VPs so some cool things should be happening in the future.
    Sounds good!....
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

That's cool MIM, hope you have a great meeting with Martin, and looking forward to your C1K demo video. It would also be interesting to find out if they plan to use rosewood for fingerboards again on the Made in Mexico ukes, instead of sipo, now that the CITES restrictions have been lifted.
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-14-2020 at 04:34 AM.
    John

Thread Information