Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's up with the Martin C1K?

Good to know, thanks. I did just jump in with a guess instead of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    The C1K and T1K fretboards and bridges are made from Sipo (an African Mahogany), not Walnut.

Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by raffrox View Post
    That's a good point about the walnut fretboard Ziret. Mine had a rosewood fretboard that I think does look a bit nicer.
    I've seen a few people saying that Martin uses Walnut on their Mexico made Ukes. According to their website they use "Sipo".

I really do not care for the look of it (for fretboards). Almost wish they would've used a dark Walnut instead if they really had to stop using Rosewood.
    Last edited by CommonCurt; 03-06-2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Ukuleles:
    60's Martin Style 0
    LoPrinzi Concert (Redwood & Mahogany)
    Kala Elite 1MHG-S
    Ohana SK-25S
    Kala Elite 1KOA-T << Available for purchase soon. PM if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    Here's a couple, a newer one on the left, and on the right how I've seen many in the past, a nice golden koa color.

Attachment 115903
    The uke on the left is in a more natural state as opposed to the other which has been enhanced during the finishing. It could be the latest Koa they are using doesn't enhance as well so they leave it natural or they think a darker Koa would make the lighter fretboard stick out.

John

I was able to find a couple photos of one of the C1K's I had.
    IMG_0054.jpg IMG_0053.jpg
    Current Ukuleles:
    2009 Bean Sprout Banjolele
    2012 Martin Style 2K Soprano
    2017 Martin Style 3K Custom Tenor
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Concert
    2018 Martin Style 3K Custom Soprano
    2018 Martin Style 3 Centennial #2230085
    2018 Martin 1T IZ Tenor (#576)
    2018 Martin S1
    2018 Martin Konter Replica
    2018 Kamaka HP-1 Pineapple

Their Koa has changed quite a bit over time.. but based on other discussions the look of Koa and is not easy to map to the sound of it.. C1K is not a uke to buy for the looks but as an entry level uke of good quality and sound. The C1K I had, had excellent intonation, sound and overall feel.. the koa did not look like "koa" we see on high end ukes but when I was buying it was all greek and latin to me, I bought it cause it sounded good.
    Uke Set:
    Sopranos: Ken Timms, TinGuitar Khaya, Martin: 3k Koa, 3M centennial, 1927 1K, 1929 3M
    Tenors: Moore Bettah(Sitka+ebony & all Koa), Compass Rose Koa, Tyde learner Spruce n Koa, Ono 18 wahoo Adi n rose, Fluke spruce top
    Baritone: Les Stansell PO Cedar walnut, Les Stansell Incense Cedar Myrtle.
    Pono Nui BN1 Acacia
    Cello Banjo: Waldman Cello Banjo D dGBE
    Buying, tradings & selling -> (kerneltime) at gmail

Quote Originally Posted by kerneltime View Post
    ...C1K is not a uke to buy for the looks but as an entry level uke of good quality and sound.
    Yeah, everyone is different. I've gotta love the looks to even consider buying a uke. YMMV.
    John

Mine has a few places where the grain isn't at all straight and the fretboard tone is light. Then again, mine set me back $400 and you'd be hard-pressed to find an all-koa instrument of similar quality for less than a few hundred more. I love it.
    Martin C1K • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Here’s the one I had, very pretty, but the sound did not impress me.
    Mine looks like it had rosewood fretboard and bridge?
    CFB07448-A3A8-4F8A-A757-FE4D21FA0D9D.jpg
    Ohana TK-35G, Kanilea K1 DLX tenor, Kanilea K1 SF concert, Imua ICN, Famous FS-5, Luna (Kiwaya L400), Islander AC4, Flea concert, Anuenue Light Bird cedar tenor, Koaloha KCM-00

Quote Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
    The uke on the left is in a more natural state as opposed to the other which has been enhanced during the finishing. It could be the latest Koa they are using doesn't enhance as well so they leave it natural or they think a darker Koa would make the lighter fretboard stick out.

John
    I have a block of unfinished Koa that I pulled out of the scrap bin at the Kamaka factory. It's as dark or even darker than the Koa used on the uke shown the right. I don't think Martin's finishing process enhances the color of their instruments all that much. The inside of my older "dark" C1K is also pretty much the same color as the outside, just not shiny.

Similarly, I once saw a Kanile'a at HMS that was so light in color that I asked if it was mango. Nope, just Koa sapwood instead of heartwood.

It looks to me that the lighter C1Ks are cut from the Koa sapwood instead of the heartwood. And I think they look just fine.
    Last edited by WestyShane; 03-06-2019 at 09:01 AM.

I am used to seeing the darker koa ukes. But if you go to the Ukulele Site and click on Kanile'a, there are now a number of much lighter toned koa ukes.

Thread Information