What's up with the Martin C1K?

I have the T1K and feel like it looks pretty nice (photos attached). I have seen C1K's with similar wood and I've seen plenty of both that were really plain. The sound is great on them though.

IMG_1765.jpgIMG_1766.jpg

The wood varies A LOT on the import Martin ukes. They even do a very poor job of matching similar wood between top and sides. Some are very beautiful, some are downright awful. So i would never buy one of these sight unseen. All are plain (which some people like, and others don't). I have played the C1K, and I own a T1K. My experience is that they are wonderful instruments.

Yeah, everyone is different. I've gotta love the looks to even consider buying a uke. YMMV.

Me too... but that has a lot to do with the fact that many of my ukes were bought online.
For me to fall in love with a uke it has to please all the appropriate senses: sight, sound, feel and even smell to some extent.

Suffered in Fit and Finish? I've had quite a few Martin Ukulele's built at their Mexican facility and I'll have to say, while the Koa and Mahogany used is not master grade and pretty plain looking, I've never ever had one that wasn't perfect in fit and workmanship. Granted these are not high-gloss instruments, but they have all far exceeded my expectations for price to quality ratio and all have had that classic Martin tone.

I just wanted to offer my experiences with the Martin's I've had and still have that were built in Mexico. I've had 3 T1's , 2 C1K's and 3 S1's. I still have an S1 that I just couldn't part with.

YMMV

I'm glad you had good experiences with yours. I was unimpressed with the two examples I've held and played. One was a concert, the other a tenor, both in separate shops. One showed sloppy workmanship in finishing around the neck joint. Both were ugly, IMO ... and neither had a voice that redeemed them, again, in my opinion.

But as you say, YMMV

Check out the comments about new Martin uke models over the years before UU on FMM. Its been a perennial list of things wrong that Martin should be doing. Yet, can you name the Martin models over the years? I think many can, but they have forgotten all the "economical" and "better value" ukes that were competing with them.
I think the Martin designers know exactly what they are doing, they know which wood is good for a top and which wood is good for sides. There are constraints with supply of koa at a reasonable price and use of rosewood, so they are not standing still using the same old stuff anymore. Also there are many posts which say that pretty wood does not necessarily make the best sounding tops.
Who would like to own a Collings uke now? Go back and read the comments about the Collings ukes while you still buy them new. I am going to make a bold prediction that the C1K will be a collectible cult model after 2025, maybe sooner. Not much use to anyone now of course, but most of us will hopefully still be alive in 2025. The C1K is a uke that you can rely on to be still a player and useful and collectible, all in one package, well into the future, unlike its competition, which will be forgotten as soon as the next model comes out. Its not a uke to be buying to own for a few weeks and then sell on to someone else. Its a uke to buy and play and play and play for years and years of enjoyment from a number of angles of owning a ukulele.

Ok, ok...now I want to try one! Ha ha

Who would like to own a Collings uke now? Go back and read the comments about the Collings ukes while you still buy them new.

Tut, tut, my UC2K is as fine a ukulele as I have played. A Martin C1K went to one of my daughters not long after receipt. It was quite serviceable, reasonably well made, sounded fine, but nowhere near the sound or play-ability of my Collings. I only wish I had bought a UC3 when they were available :)

Tut, tut, my UC2K is as fine a ukulele as I have played. A Martin C1K went to one of my daughters not long after receipt. It was quite serviceable, reasonably well made, sounded fine, but nowhere near the sound or play-ability of my Collings. I only wish I had bought a UC3 when they were available :)

I think you are missing his point.. in hindsight many ukes age well and he is betting C1K will age well, similar to Collings, does that mean you can compare a Collings to a C1K.. I do not think that is implied. Similar to that MyaMoe when in full production in original hands were not as much in demand as they are now?

I think you are missing his point.. in hindsight many ukes age well and he is betting C1K will age well, similar to Collings, does that mean you can compare a Collings to a C1K.. I do not think that is implied. Similar to that MyaMoe when in full production in original hands were not as much in demand as they are now?

Thanks. I see what you're saying. Perhaps, I missed the intent- sorry.

Check out the comments about new Martin uke models over the years before UU on FMM. Its been a perennial list of things wrong that Martin should be doing. Yet, can you name the Martin models over the years? I think many can, but they have forgotten all the "economical" and "better value" ukes that were competing with them.
I think the Martin designers know exactly what they are doing, they know which wood is good for a top and which wood is good for sides. There are constraints with supply of koa at a reasonable price and use of rosewood, so they are not standing still using the same old stuff anymore. Also there are many posts which say that pretty wood does not necessarily make the best sounding tops.
Who would like to own a Collings uke now? Go back and read the comments about the Collings ukes while you still buy them new. I am going to make a bold prediction that the C1K will be a collectible cult model after 2025, maybe sooner. Not much use to anyone now of course, but most of us will hopefully still be alive in 2025. The C1K is a uke that you can rely on to be still a player and useful and collectible, all in one package, well into the future, unlike its competition, which will be forgotten as soon as the next model comes out. Its not a uke to be buying to own for a few weeks and then sell on to someone else. Its a uke to buy and play and play and play for years and years of enjoyment from a number of angles of owning a ukulele.

Interesting take and I tend to agree. I have to admit that when I received my C1K second and after only seeing pics online I was disappointed with the koa but once I started playing it, I was a big fan. I got mine for about US$300 and at that price I thought it was a complete bargain. After a while the 'character' of wood just became part of the whole package. I've owned about 30 uke's and as far as just a good uke to pick up and play this was one of my favourites.

I didn't find the fit or finish of my uke C1K anything other than great. The koa wasn't of a great standard and you either like that kind of look or it doesn't work for you.

I have a block of unfinished Koa that I pulled out of the scrap bin at the Kamaka factory. It's as dark or even darker than the Koa used on the uke shown the right. I don't think Martin's finishing process enhances the color of their instruments all that much. The inside of my older "dark" C1K is also pretty much the same color as the outside, just not shiny.

Similarly, I once saw a Kanile'a at HMS that was so light in color that I asked if it was mango. Nope, just Koa sapwood instead of heartwood.

It looks to me that the lighter C1Ks are cut from the Koa sapwood instead of the heartwood. And I think they look just fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a luthier so my experience is with other forms of woodworking where what finish you choose can make a huge difference in how the wood looks when done. I would not have expected that great a difference in the wood.

John

I have the T1K and feel like it looks pretty nice (photos attached). I have seen C1K's with similar wood and I've seen plenty of both that were really plain. The sound is great on them though.

View attachment 115923View attachment 115924

My T1K is more sedate appearance-wise, but the sound is spectacular (to me, anyway). It's now my only 4-string tenor uke because of its sound.

Have had no form-fit-function issues with the made-in-Mexico uke. It sits well side-by-side with my Nazareth-made tenor guitar. Cannot find any quality differences between the two.
20190307_150318.jpg

Last edited:

That's a sample photo. I doubt the one you'd get looks like that. I've never played a C1k or T1k so this isn't a criticism of the uke, but it annoys me that a seller would have up what seems like a less than honest portrayal (based on every other pic I've ever seen). I could be wrong though. Again, I've never played one.

Does seem like cool sounding uke. I like this person's demos.

Last edited:
That's a sample photo. I doubt the one you'd get looks like that. I've never played a C1k or T1k so this isn't a criticism of the uke, but it annoys me that a seller would have up what seems like a less than honest portrayal (based on every other pic I've ever seen). I could be wrong though. Again, I've never played one.

Does seem like cool sounding uke. I like this person's demos.

That C1K looks like a really nice example- fine, straight grain on that top. I would guess it will probably age quite well, and may darken over time.

A T1k is my favourite in my collection but not the best looking. There is a patch on the side when I look down playing that shows the koa shimmer but the rest is rather plain. The logo dropped off so it is now incognito until some one peers into the sound hole and says, oh a Martin. The finish is very soft, easily dented with a fingernail and after a few years of regular play, is wearing away above and below the strumming area. I don't mind really.

I got lucky with my C1K. I was trying out on the display piece and it’s the plainest uke in the whole shop. But it sounded so good. While I was two minded, the staff read my mind and said there is a 2nd piece back in the store.

He took it out and i knew I have to buy it. It has flames full body, not the in your face kind but that subtle kind when you need to let the light reflect back and fro on it to see the flames.

I got lucky with my C1K. I was trying out on the display piece and it’s the plainest uke in the whole shop. But it sounded so good. While I was two minded, the staff read my mind and said there is a 2nd piece back in the store.

He took it out and i knew I have to buy it. It has flames full body, not the in your face kind but that subtle kind when you need to let the light reflect back and fro on it to see the flames.

Got a pic?

I had one, bought in 2013 I think. It sounded great, I just wanted a Hawaiian made uke. It was one of the best looking ones I've seen.
IMG_20150224_103619676.jpg

Top Bottom