Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ressources for picking patterns

Default Ressources for picking patterns

Hi ukers,

I feel like I have gotten stuck with the arpeggios that I play the most, and I have a hard time coming up with new stuff.

I tried looking up youtube videos by Stuart Fuchs, Mike Lynch and others, but I would like more ressources.

Particularly for the stuff where you pick more notes at a time, add some hammer-ons, pull-offs or other cool stuff.
    The latter can hardly be a chord independent thing to do, as I guess it would need to explanation on variations depending on the chords.

Does anyone have some good links?
    Either to books, videos, or other stuff.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Arpeggio Meditations by Daniel Ward. Everything you ask for.

I've got some basic picking patterns here. Might be something new for you, but it's nowhere near what the book offers.

What you might like to try is a totally different style of playing, for a while, so's your fretting hand can "learn" some new tricks, then you'll be able to incorporate some of these into your more conventional picking patterns. I found learning to play claw-hammer on both the ukulele and the 5-string banjo (to a relatively basic level) gave me so much more confidence to introduce hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides to my guitar and ukulele picking.

YMMV, obviously, but it's worth a thought
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post

I've got some basic picking patterns here. Might be something new for you, but it's nowhere near what the book offers.
    Thanks for the link Brad, valuable information.
    Cheers Santa.

Pepe Romero Tiny Tenor.
    Kala Ziricote Tenor.
    Kala Concert FMCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bordessa View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Apparantly the book is only sold in the US.
    I would have to pay like a $30 fee just to be allowed to pay tariffs and danish VAT on that, seems unreasonable for a $20 book.

Any suggestions for books available in the EU?
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Apparantly the book is only sold in the US.
    I would have to pay like a $30 fee just to be allowed to pay tariffs and danish VAT on that, seems unreasonable for a $20 book.

Any suggestions for books available in the EU?
    Have you tried contacting Daniel Ward himself?
    I bought the book directly from him (I'm in the Netherlands), shipping costs were around 7 Euro or so.

Maybe you could try some chord melody or finger picking(?).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Maybe you could try some chord melody or finger picking(?).
    I do tab out songs for chord melody sometimes, but I am looking for arpeggios to fingerpick for songs where I dont have the time to make an elaborate arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post
    What you might like to try is a totally different style of playing, for a while, so's your fretting hand can "learn" some new tricks, then you'll be able to incorporate some of these into your more conventional picking patterns. I found learning to play claw-hammer on both the ukulele and the 5-string banjo (to a relatively basic level) gave me so much more confidence to introduce hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides to my guitar and ukulele picking.

YMMV, obviously, but it's worth a thought
    Well, picking instructions for those playing styles are welcome too, if you know some good ressources. I guess it can be tabbed out the same way as an arpeggio.

Quote Originally Posted by UkingViking View Post
    Well, picking instructions for those playing styles are welcome too, if you know some good ressources. I guess it can be tabbed out the same way as an arpeggio.
    Aaron Keim (The Quiet American) http://quietamericanmusic.com/home publishes some material you may find interesting ... he has a few free examples
    There are those who will wax lyrical about the ability to play a double shuffle with a split fan and a tight G-string ...
    it just makes me walk funny!

Thread Information