Ressources for picking patterns

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi ukers,

I feel like I have gotten stuck with the arpeggios that I play the most, and I have a hard time coming up with new stuff.

I tried looking up youtube videos by Stuart Fuchs, Mike Lynch and others, but I would like more ressources.

Particularly for the stuff where you pick more notes at a time, add some hammer-ons, pull-offs or other cool stuff.
The latter can hardly be a chord independent thing to do, as I guess it would need to explanation on variations depending on the chords.

Does anyone have some good links?
Either to books, videos, or other stuff.

Arpeggio Meditations by Daniel Ward. Everything you ask for.

I've got some basic picking patterns here. Might be something new for you, but it's nowhere near what the book offers.

What you might like to try is a totally different style of playing, for a while, so's your fretting hand can "learn" some new tricks, then you'll be able to incorporate some of these into your more conventional picking patterns. I found learning to play claw-hammer on both the ukulele and the 5-string banjo (to a relatively basic level) gave me so much more confidence to introduce hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides to my guitar and ukulele picking.

YMMV, obviously, but it's worth a thought ;) :music:

Arpeggio Meditations by Daniel Ward. Everything you ask for.

I've got some basic picking patterns here. Might be something new for you, but it's nowhere near what the book offers.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Apparantly the book is only sold in the US.
I would have to pay like a $30 fee just to be allowed to pay tariffs and danish VAT on that, seems unreasonable for a $20 book.

Any suggestions for books available in the EU?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Apparantly the book is only sold in the US.
I would have to pay like a $30 fee just to be allowed to pay tariffs and danish VAT on that, seems unreasonable for a $20 book.

Any suggestions for books available in the EU?

Have you tried contacting Daniel Ward himself?
I bought the book directly from him (I'm in the Netherlands), shipping costs were around 7 Euro or so.

Maybe you could try some chord melody or finger picking(?). :)

I do tab out songs for chord melody sometimes, but I am looking for arpeggios to fingerpick for songs where I dont have the time to make an elaborate arrangement.

What you might like to try is a totally different style of playing, for a while, so's your fretting hand can "learn" some new tricks, then you'll be able to incorporate some of these into your more conventional picking patterns. I found learning to play claw-hammer on both the ukulele and the 5-string banjo (to a relatively basic level) gave me so much more confidence to introduce hammer-ons, pull-offs and slides to my guitar and ukulele picking.

YMMV, obviously, but it's worth a thought ;) :music:

Well, picking instructions for those playing styles are welcome too, if you know some good ressources. I guess it can be tabbed out the same way as an arpeggio.

Have you tried contacting Daniel Ward himself?
I bought the book directly from him (I'm in the Netherlands), shipping costs were around 7 Euro or so.

It seems like the only place to buy from is from Daniel Ward himself. If book stores carried the book, I could just buy from an european bookstore.
I am not worried about the shipping cost, but about the book getting stuck in customs.
Dont you need to pay tariffs in the netherlands, when buying stuff from overseas?

In Denmark, if you import anything worth more than DKK 80 = ~ Euros 10.5 = ~ $12, you need to pay dabish VAT.
And before you get to pay your VAT, you need to pay a handling fee of DKK 160 =~ EUR 21 = ~$24.

Which practically mean you would not want to import anything from outside the EU. Especially if it is just a bit over the limit.

In Denmark, if you import anything worth more than DKK 80 = ~ Euros 10.5 = ~ $12, you need to pay dabish VAT.
And before you get to pay your VAT, you need to pay a handling fee of DKK 160 =~ EUR 21 = ~$24.

Which practically mean you would not want to import anything from outside the EU. Especially if it is just a bit over the limit.

Same here, except the limit is 22 Euro (so a tiny bit more wiggle room...).
And once the value of the item goes above that amount, the VAT is also calculated over the shipping costs.

If you explain the situation to Daniel, he might be able to come up with a solution.

Or perhaps ask a ukulele store in the EU to stock them?
Gute-Ukulele in Germany might be interested; I would suggest World of Ukes in the UK as well, except they won't be EU much longer
, sadly

Top Bottom